Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Gold 2x (one original, one fake)

Article about: On further research, i discovered there are two varints from the same firm L/52, it interesting read. I would not subscribe to the second varint just the first. the first follows the more st

Default Re: Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Gold 2x (one original, one fake)

On further research, i discovered there are two varints from the same firm L/52, it interesting read. I would not subscribe to the second varint just the first. the first follows the more standard form of a wound badge.

Here first
    cased gold wound badge opinions - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

here is a second
    L/54 Wound Badge Gold - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

If you guys want me to take photos let me know and i will repost them on the thread (with permision)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Gold 2x (one original, one fake)
    P
    Many

?

Scary, if fake

?

L/54 maybe?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

L/54

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

i am not confident these are just differences between makers. i think in hand it's much better... easier to see.

but i think even in my pics here, bad as they may be, again... the details are terrible. there are absolutely no lines on any of the leaves. the left sword handle is smooth. the lower rim of the helmet simply isn't there. both examples referenced above have all these features in sharp relief.

in my badge they are totally missing.

also present on both examples cited above is the "bolt" or "bump" on the back of the helmet. on my fake here it is totally missing.

these are all things i have not seen in any good badge. those examples from WAF are much more detailed than mine, lack the pitting mine has, and yet... mine is much, much more mint. very odd, right?

i'd love to find another with the problems i've just mentioned but i never have been able to come up with one. the two badges from WAF lack each of the problems i've mentioned. they are sharper in details to the leaves, have the appropriate features to the helmet missing here and no pitting.

this badge is sitting in my collection so if anyone has one like it let me know. because it would be great to be able to vet the thing. as it stands, if anyone ever handed me a badge with that pitting on the back and softness... i'd deem it fake as i do this one, at the moment.

i'd love to see pictures of any other L/54 you may like to show. we could put these next to each other and talk about the details i'm not liking in mine.
    Last edited by tempelhof; 05-03-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Hello Templehof,
    I believe that you are correct in assuming that the badge made by Schauerte & Hohfeld marked L54 is a reproduction.
    With all the observations that you have pointed out about the softness of the detailing compared to an original badge you are spot on.
    Another point which would send out the alarm bell is the extra broad hook. On original tombak badges this should always be a bent rounded wire hook.
    You will find examples of this hook on all 3 grades of this factories badges.
    The finish is very pale compared to what I would expect even from this factory. It appears more like a spray finish has been applied.
    All the best
    Doug

i put this badge up (the fake) precisely because it is so good. i haven't seen one like it, and putting it out there for study and commentary is worth something to us all.

because it is so good, you have to expect it to be controversial. i wish i had much better pics though, and is soon as i can i'll ad some to the thread. as i have said, were we all sitting in a room and handling it, it's failings show much more clearly. still... it is a very well done badge and a dangerous one that sense.

I'm thinking a sand-cast fake, that surface pitting, lack of detail and odd obverse surface texture is too iffy in my book.

exactly my thoughts.

i will try to put better pictures up when i am better situated to post. this one deserves better pictures for study.

?

This exact same badge was called original on WAF? Correct?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast