Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Schwarz, original?

Article about: Thanks for looking, and if possible providing an opinion. I'm looking at this wound badge, and my concern is that the pin catch is so low on this, and the pin seems to extend past or very cl

Default Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Schwarz, original?

Thanks for looking, and if possible providing an opinion.

I'm looking at this wound badge, and my concern is that the pin catch is so low on this, and the pin seems to extend past or very close to the bottom of the badge.

I've been looking at examples posted here on the forum, and haven't found one that looks like this, but I know there were a number of makers each with their own methods. Is this catch position and pin found on any of those makers?

Thanks again,

Scott

Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Schwarz, original?
    Last edited by rbminis; 08-04-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Edited title to use correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Schwarz, original?
    P
    Many

I think you're right to be suspicious Scott. Although the pic's are poor i'm pretty certain this is the earliest version of the notorious 'Low Rim Fake'. Later versions have a variety of different rear set ups, but here's one like yours. Note the very shallow depth of the rim of the badge and the details of the leaves, berries, bow, sword hilts and the angle of stippling below the helmet skirt, all are identical. Not one for me.

Regards, Ned.

Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Schwarz, original?Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Schwarz, original?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Odd badge...Do you have a straight-on photo of the front so we can see the dot-pattern under the helmet? Looks like a stamped-steel badge, possibly with a replaced round catch...I would just like to be sure it isn't the so-called "Chaos-Pattern" Fake with replaced hardware...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Odd badge...Do you have a straight-on photo of the front so we can see the dot-pattern under the helmet? Looks like a stamped-steel badge, possibly with a replaced round catch...I would just like to be sure it isn't the so-called "Chaos-Pattern" Fake with replaced hardware...
    cheers, Glenn
    You're right Glenn!

How the hell did I miss that wavy line of dots between the swords....NOOOO!!!

Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Schwarz, original?Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Schwarz, original?
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Sorry Glenn, these are the photos they had posted. It's on the WAF, and the seller is selling a grouping of badges. I had to crop these images out.

That said, I think Ned has posted plenty of ammo for my concerns, and with these so abundant and inexpensive, I'm going to just move on from this one. You guys are awesome!

Edit: Thanks for those wavy line pictures, I see that now! Excellent. I'm now armed with two wound badge fake details to watch out for! Thanks guys.

The funny thing about it is that you're the one who taught me about that particular fake, Ned!
    cheers, Glenn

Uhhh.....It's all so embarrassing.....

we can all miss the clues sometimes Ned.

New laptop sitting in the kitchen garden H. I'll stick to the big hard wired screen indoors next time....Bah!