Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Verwundetenabzeichen 20 Juli 1944

Article about: I had the wonderful opportunity to witness the purchase of one of these badges back in the winter of 1961. I had driven a family car at 15(yes, no driver' license but I knew how to drive)fro

Default re: Verwundetenabzeichen 20 Juli 1944

I had the wonderful opportunity to witness the purchase of one of these badges back in the winter of 1961. I had driven a family car at 15(yes, no driver' license but I knew how to drive)from the far North end of Chicago to the Southeast part of Chicago to visit Bob's Hobby Shop, an early collector's store on the border of an area in Chicago that at the time was called "a changing neighborhood." That meant the white people were panic selling their houses and black families were moving in. That afternoon, a man popped his head in the door and asked, "do you buy German medals?" The owner said yes and he brought in two large cardboard boxes and said "I have to find a place to park the car."
    When he came back, I had the opportunity to see the greatest vet bring back medal collection I know of. There was a 20 July wound badge in silver, a Grand Cross to the Iron Cross, a cased set of three German Orders, two neck pieces and a pin back along with a NSDAP badge, large and small Gold and Platinum wreath Party Badges, two cased DK's in gold with brilliants, Two cases with all of the long service medals, political and military, five cased Knights Crosses including Oakleaves and Oakleaves and Swords, about fifteen various Kreigsmarine badges with brilliants and several cased Eagle Orders. All were bought for $300.00!!!!!!
    Steve Wolfe had the German Orders. I have no idea where the rest of it went. I was fifteen years old and had no funds to buy such wonderful things. I believe the 20 July wound badge sold for $300 and the cased German Orders $500.
    Bob Gramberg, who owned the shop was an artist and an individual with an ardent interest in military history. His shop and the things in it are now a part of my mental history. I believe he still makes the SOS every year plus local Chicago shows. He published a book in 1962, "Collector's Handbook on German Military Relics." The Grand Cross and 20 July wound badge are both illustrated. By today's standards, it is amateurish. However48 years ago, it was the Bible for most of us.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Verwundetenabzeichen 20 Juli 1944   Verwundetenabzeichen 20 Juli 1944  

Verwundetenabzeichen 20 Juli 1944  
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen 20 Juli 1944
    P
    Many

Thumbs up re: Verwundetenabzeichen 20 Juli 1944

Hi Bob

Thanks that was a fascinating read. It must have been really wonderfull to have wittnest these events first hand, those times aint coming back...

Greetz

Nick VR

Quote by Nick VR View Post
    Hi Bob

Thanks that was a fascinating read. It must have been really wonderfull to have wittnest these events first hand, those times aint coming back...

Greetz

Nick VR
    Yes, those were the days. I also saw my first SS four pocket camoflage jacket at Bob's store. I did not even know that the Germans wore camoflage clothing at that time. It was in unissued condition with a sleeve eagle. The price was $35.00. That jacket certainly was not within the financial means of a teenager. I saved my money and bought a fourpocket Luftwaffe flight tunic with a Legion Condor cufftitle and a matchng visor cap for $20.00. Both tunics were also in Bob's book.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

OKW
    ?

Should have offered him the car.

Quote by OKW View Post
    Should have offered him the car.
    Hahahahaha.....Man - you could have walked back home with SO many items! Mind you - not sure how the folks would have felt about that!!

Great story Bob - thanks for sharing man!

Rob

Interesting in that the book from 1962 suggests there were restrikes,
    at a time when there was not a very strong market for
    German militaria.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Default There is a reason why those sold for $1500 IMO

Quote by Pierre N View Post
    i think the high price of this badge is the history of this badge!
    if compared to this medal , only two made , and sold for $1500 i prefer the west wall medal ( only two made )
    Although only marginally a part of this thread- I would be interested in finding out where this info on those West Wall Medals "only two pieces made" originated from.
    Additionally- if the West Wall Medal that formed part of Himmler Medal Bar is the regular issue (it in fact is) then who might be the lucky winner(s) of this 'special edition' medal?
    Looking forward to any info on those. Thanks in advance.

cheers

Matt
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Gau Ehrenzeichen Collector

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2