Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Verwundetenabzeichen - Assessment requested

Article about: Hello! This is my first post here and am asking for any information about this badge. It was found years ago at an estate sale in a shoe box and was purchased for \\$2. I've done some research

Default Verwundetenabzeichen - Assessment requested

Hello!

This is my first post here and am asking for any information about this badge. It was found years ago at an estate sale in a shoe box and was purchased for $2. I've done some research but have little knowledge of these things and am unsure as to how my newly found knowledge relates to my badge. Please see photos below. The hasp on the back seems to be twisted a bit. I checked the piece with a 10x loupe and found no maker mark.

Is it authentic? What type is it? Rare or common? Who is the maker?

To me, it is a handsome piece. It shows some wear and that speaks to the fact that someone must have worn it. Makes me wonder about the story of that person.

Width - 36.5 mm
    Height - 44 mm
    Weight - 34 g

I know ebay does not allow auctions of badges like this but, I found some completed sales and thought I would give it a try. It took two days for ebay to take it down but I did receive three bids and had several watchers. So, maybe worth more than the $2 investment.

Thanks for any help,
    Harry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen - Assessment requested
    P
    Many

Looks to be a good unmarked Hauptmunzamt Wien (30) imo.

I agree a nice early Unmarked 30 wound badge in Tombak, Here's my marked 30 for comparison. Regards Paul.

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    I agree a nice early Unmarked 30 wound badge in Tombak, Here's my marked 30 for comparison. Regards Paul.
    I agree with this.
    A great buy for $2!
    If you are looking to sell it, I suggest you look around at some of the militaria dealers to find a value, then knock off about 25-30% and post it here in the Classifieds section.
    Third Reich militaria - Militaria Collectibles buy - sell at War Relics
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thank you all for your responses.

Paul, the back of yours and mine seems to have a darker mark at one edge that continues in a lighter line parallel to the pin. I wonder what about the manufacturing process caused that? Could be these sat on a rack of sorts during plating?

Ralph, I am 68 and my collection is pretty full. Not a hoarder by any definition but, I need to thin the herd so need to move a lot of nice things on to those who have a greater appreciation. A lot of what I have just sits in boxes due to the sheer amount. My most precious is a 1970 Triumph Bonneville. Cleaned up and preserved but not restored. Hope to never sell that.

A follow up question: Why were cast versions produced as well as the stamped/hollow ones?

Again, thanks all for taking time to respond and passing on knowledge.

Regards,
    Harry

Quote by Harry Jodak View Post
    A follow up question: Why were cast versions produced as well as the stamped/hollow ones?

Again, thanks all for taking time to respond and passing on knowledge.

Regards,
    Harry
    IMO, they were all stamped, just some were stamped solid. I consider any cast badge a high candidate to be fake.
    Ralph.

Congrats on the Triumph!
    My first was a 1976 Norton 750 Commando, long gone.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)