Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold: Hauptmünzamt Wien (Unmarked)

Article about: Hello folks. This one has been a long time coming, and fills a gap in my collection of awards. I purchased this example from Hiscoll a few days ago, and received it just this morning. I pres

Quote by MAP View Post
    The unfortunate thing is that I'm assuming that most of the recipients probably never got to wear them or if they did, the wounds were catastrophic.
    The award criteria for the gold badge does make for grim reading. The standard award criteria was to be wounded five or more times, but it was also awarded in the case of a wound that caused total disability, such as total blindness, total deafness or the loss of a limb. I believe brain damage was also included in that category, as well as 'loss of manhood'. They were very often awarded posthumously, being sent to the recipient's next of kin along with any other awards he had received.

One award you didn't want to win!

B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold: Hauptmünzamt Wien (Unmarked)
    P
    Many

I like the Hauptmünzamt produced verwundabzeichen, the detailing is always crisp and the feel in the hand solid and well made.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    The award criteria for the gold badge does make for grim reading. The standard award criteria was to be wounded five or more times, but it was also awarded in the case of a wound that caused total disability, such as total blindness, total deafness or the loss of a limb. I believe brain damage was also included in that category, as well as 'loss of manhood'. They were very often awarded posthumously, being sent to the recipient's next of kin along with any other awards he had received.

One award you didn't want to win!

B.B.
    I've always thought that is why often times you find these in excellent / unworn condition. They sat in a draw and never really worn.

Funny though. I have one that was purchased from a member here who was selling a hoard of awards that were collected by a vet while processing surrendering soldiers (you might remember that thread). So mine was most likely worn by an active duty soldier.

Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Gold "30"
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

B.B. makes some good points but there were also a good number of soldiers who survived what it took to earn the Wound Badge in Gold. I was reading a bit in my copy of "The Face of Courage" the other night - it is the short biographies of the 98 men who were awarded both the RK and the Close Combat Clasp in Gold. As you can imagine, a number of them were decorated with the GWB.
    I also have a mint, cased GWB to a 16th Panzer Division veteran who survived/escaped Stalingrad. It was probably his presentation award and appears he secured it away safe at home and wore another if he continued serving (I don't know how debilitating his wounds were). He survived the war and I have his stick pins that he wore to post-war 16th PD reunions.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    as well as 'loss of manhood'.
    B.B.
    Yeah that one!!OUCH!!
    Definitely not worth a gold medal

Semper Fi
    Phil

A nice addition in very good condition!
    Congrats on adding this one to your collection!
    One I don't have yet, kind of looking for a wide pin myself.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2