Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Verwundetenabzeichen - Maker??

Article about: Hi Group, is it possible to tell a maker for this silver wound badge from the pictures attached? Can the maker be identified from design/shape at all? New to collecting any help would be app

Default Verwundetenabzeichen - Maker??

Hi Group, is it possible to tell a maker for this silver wound badge from the pictures attached? Can the maker be identified from design/shape at all? New to collecting any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Verwundetenabzeichen - Maker??   Verwundetenabzeichen - Maker??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen - Maker??
    P
    Many

nice badge can't think of maker hope Ned see's it.

This is not a catch set up that I would be comfortable with. I have never seen this flat catch plate before on a wound badge.
    Maybe a repair or replacement?

Hello Geromino,
    although this is a fairly convincing looking badge I am not really convinced that it is a genuine one.
    It is not an obverse for a silver badge or a gold one for that matter. That I know of anyway.
    It looks to have been set up from a black wound badge obverse design.

It has too many traits that are commonly seen in reproduction badges.

If you look at the picture of your badge you will see what I mean:
    Where I have circled it at the top, the two small pellets and then the large row of 10 or 11 pellets is what I would expect to see in some genuine black badges or reproductions.

Verwundetenabzeichen - Maker??

Below this I have pictured a reproduction black badge that have all the same traits as your silver one including the reverse hardware set up...Rounded hinge plate and rectangular hook plate.

Verwundetenabzeichen - Maker??Verwundetenabzeichen - Maker??

Hope this helps...Remember it is just my opinion

All the best
    Doug
    Last edited by Saladin; 07-20-2015 at 03:51 PM.

?

Hi Guys,

Ned brought my attention to this thread. I'm no expert on wound badges, but the production features and setup of that wound badge match the characteristics of a line of zincers from the "flatback maker", usually associated with Alois Rettenmaier, Schwäbisch-Gmund. The shared characteristics of this particular line of awards is they're fairly massive, have striated abrasions on the reverse and heavily hand-cut and/or filed margins. The sheet metal hinge has narrow flanges and the catch which is leftward opening sits upon a rectangular catch plate.

That's not to say that Rettenmaier or someone else couldn't just as easily have made these award post-war. There's no proof one way or the other whether this variety was wartime or post-war. Certainly the quality of the Rettenmaeir-attributed Kriegsmarine war badges is inferior to most other makers, but we do know from an original wartime LDO shop order slip posted previously by Giel on WAF and GCA that Rettenmaier definitely made wound badges and war badges in 1944.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Verwundetenabzeichen - Maker??   Verwundetenabzeichen - Maker??  

Thank's for the prompt reply to my request Norm, it's much appreciated!

I think that pretty much nails this one assuming it's not post war. It's an interesting find if it is as appears, to be by Rettenmaier, as previously I think they were only known for producing a black badge made in steel with an integral hinge and catch, in which case this would be a new addition to the known types by a named maker.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

That is some good new information from you Norm, Thank you for your input.
    Ned that is some good digging that you have come up with. I think you may have come up with a missing link.
    So now armed with the new information the black steel pressed badge @ post 4 with the same set up as the SWB that started the thread that I (and others have assumed was a fake) has just got to be pointing towards being a genuine Rettenmaier variant.

All the best
    Doug