Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz... Real or Fake?

Article about: i really dislike knocking a BWB. there's something miserly about it.

Default Re: Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz... Real or Fake?

i really dislike knocking a BWB. there's something miserly about it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz... Real or Fake?
    P
    Many

OK... So there are good and bad points about this example.

Can anyone say that it's... Real or Fake?

Well for comparison here is a similar shot of the details of my L/56 Funcke & Bruninghaus. The details are quite different but is it enough to say fake? I can't say either way but I think its worth hanging onto while doing further research. Theres been plenty of threads on these common awards so the information is certainly out there somewhere.

Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz... Real or Fake?

i myself have a very nice gold wound badge which i receive mixed opinions on. people argue as to whether it is real or not. and i am talking about people respected within the collecting community with extensive experience with wound badges. i have collectors of these things, globally respected collectors, at odds over it. i am stuck with, in the end, having to take a stand myself and simply accept or not accept the badge for exactly what it is: a doubtful piece.
    at least at the moment, that is what i am doing.

the fact is (and sometimes i think it's treated like some sort of dirty secret) in this hobby as in many other areas stretching across science and art and every conceivable field of endeavor it is not always possible to know or demonstrate every thing.

this badge conforms in some areas to a knowledge base that we have out there for these things and in a few other areas it does not. i speak only for myself here, but i can't call it Real or Fake here without that being a responsible opinion so i do the next best thing: tell you i personally don't like it, state my reasons, but stop short of calling it Fake. the first reason for this is that i want to be honest about my own ability to make these calls and the second is that the calls we make here are very public and permanent and i have a track record to worry about. i don't want to be caught making a wrong call and having a reputation of that sort of thing over time. so i try to be very precise and honest about what i know.

and my apologies for not being able to "nail" this one for you...

Glenn66 makes a great point that i left out: in these sorts of situations, the research can be worth more than the badge.

i am not saying i sit here with this doubtful GWB i have and pour over books and forums. for me, in this case, it means keeping the thing and learning more about my little area of collecting over the years and perhaps one day coming into information that allows the call to be made. either that, or i toss the thing or post it openly, gather my opinions, and offer it for sale where i have linked discussion to the ad.

i've elected to keep it. i've actually grown to like the thing even with it's warts.

Thank you one and all!
    I very much appreciate and respect your comments, views, opinions and ethics.

I'll be keeping the badge and adding it to the collection, adding an authenticated original Black Wound Badge at some time in the future.

Cheers,
    Brad

Brad, any item that causes so much discussion is worth keeping imo. You may find one day it is an undiscovered VWA made by Godet or Juncker and it turns the collecting world on its head !
    Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

That's why I've kept my Godet marked Balloon Observer badge!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Awesome point, Woolgar.
    A real collecting truth.

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    - this badge conforms in some areas to a knowledge base that we have
    out there for these things and in a few other areas it does not -
    Indeed, a strange one..........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast