Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber "92" for Review.

Article about: I'm not all that sure that I totally agree here.....the bubbling is okey-it's normal enough to see it on these zinc pieces, but what troubles Me is the dark black discoloring that seems to b

Default Re: Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber "92" for Review.

I'm not all that sure that I totally agree here.....the bubbling is okey-it's normal enough to see it on these zinc pieces, but what troubles Me is the dark black discoloring that seems to be slowly spreading across both sides of the badge. Just what the black Is, it doesn't seem to be very friendly to the silvering and may well be permanently darkening or absorbing it beneath. That, and the fact that the silvering appears to be vanishing in more than a few spots-such as the obverse at 8'OClock and at 11 around the leaves.
    I hate to be a doom sayer, but I think that I would pass on this one-despite it's otherwise nice condition. SWB's are not that difficult to locate and many are in fine or unworn conditions for not all that much money. I think I'd keep on the search for one that was in as flawless a condition that I could find.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber "92" for Review.
    P
    Many

?

one more to go !!!

i agree with all that has been said here re: the "bubbling" being a normal part of aging seen in these zinc badges and that treating it (other than keeping it in a cool/dry environment) is unnecessary and perhaps to be avoided altogether.

i also agree with Wagriff to the extent that the blackening some collectors might find disturbing. however, i feel it's more an aesthetic concern in the short term and i do not think it's something that is going to get appreciably worse during your ownership of the piece should you buy it. any better chemists than i can correct me if i'm mistaken, but this is an oxidation reaction... a type called a "replacement reaction" that has probably to do with some ion exposure (perhaps Cu+) in the past and, as i've said, I don't think it's something that's going to go crazy on you today if kept and treated as recommended.

such care and treatment, by it's mere mentioning, shouldn't be a daunting affair. this is something we all have to do with each and every badge and, if anything, it's more important with examples in more pristine condition than it is with respect to badges that have already suffered some environmental influence.

Thanks for all the insight, gentlemen. The price was right, so I went ahead and purchased this wound badge.

Could it be possible that the slight blackening was caused by exposure...? Perhaps by being in proximity to a basement furnace?

i don't think so. to me it looks like chemical oxidation.

but that's just an opinion.

Thanks for your help William and tempelhof... I hope everything turns out ok with this one.

Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber "92" for Review.Hi folks,

The silver wound badge arrived today and is displayed proudly along with my other TR medals and badges!

The discoloration that William was concerned about turned out to be just some grime that accumulated over the years. I scratched off a little bit with my finger nail and it came right off and the badge is undamaged/ silver finish is intact underneath. I left the rest of the black stuff as is... Don't want to mess with things too much.

As you folks can see, a gold wound badge is the missing piece of the puzzle! PLEASE let me know if anyone knows of one for sale!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2