Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AWS 1942 and an Unmarked Panzerkampfabzeichen

Article about: Hi folks, I am looking to add a Panzerkampfabzeichen to my collection. Here are two that I am looking at currently. I have done some homework and I believe that they are good badges, but sec

Default AWS 1942 and an Unmarked Panzerkampfabzeichen

Hi folks,

I am looking to add a Panzerkampfabzeichen to my collection. Here are two that I am looking at currently. I have done some homework and I believe that they are good badges, but second opinions are king, of course. Could I please get your opinions?

The only thing that bothers me with the AWS is the fact that while it appears to me to have a waffle crimp near the catch, it's not as obvious as it should be when compared to others.

Thanks,
    Mo

First up is the AWS:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AWS 1942 and an Unmarked Panzerkampfabzeichen   AWS 1942 and an Unmarked Panzerkampfabzeichen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement AWS 1942 and an Unmarked Panzerkampfabzeichen
    P
    Many

Default Re: AWS 1942 and an Unmarked Panzerkampfabzeichen

And here is the unmarked PKA. Thanks guys!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AWS 1942 and an Unmarked Panzerkampfabzeichen   AWS 1942 and an Unmarked Panzerkampfabzeichen  

both look good.

at the right price they would be good badges !!

Thanks! So you guys are positive on the AWS? That weak waffle crimp really bugs me.

Any other opinions?

Hello Mo,
    I find it difficult to say for sure as the photos are not straight on but, I believe the hollow back is a pigeon head fake.
    I am also inclined to agree with you on the AWS.
    Wait for other opinions though.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

I was holding off commenting because I don't know these badges so well but now Ralph has given his thoughts I will back up what he says.

The hollow back for me is fake, I think one has been posted this year but I can't find the thread right now.

As for the AWS, it looks ok at face value and I like it more than I dislike it but a better pic of the reverse would be needed to be absolutely sure.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thanks gentlemen. I will request a better photo of the back of the AWS badge.

Hard to say with these pics, but I for one am not keen on the AWS, one of the rarest badges to find and hence copied to near perfection. The main problem that stands out besides the lack of a clearly defined crimped catch to me is the finish, especially on the back. On originals it's always been my experience that originals have a 'bubbled' appearance to some extent or another due to a reaction between the high quality plated finish and the zinc underneath oxidising, you just don't get that on fakes and I don't see a hint of it here, and therefore i'd give it a miss unless far more detailed pics front and back are made available as there are also small flaws on the obverse of some fakes that need looking for.

The hollow back badge again suffers from the same problem regarding pic's. But I think it may stand a chance of being an original Otto Schickle badge that became, along with Petz & Lorenz, what's today known as the 'B.H.Mayer type' after both companies ceased production in 1941-2. It's a common badge. The white metal wrap around hinge with a folded footplate and the standard flatwire catch are a known variant used on these later war zinc badges produced using the same dies as the earlier tombak type badges.

So, going against the consensus, I don't really like the AWS badge but think the B.H.Mayer type stands a fair chance.

An original AWS badge showing the 'bubbling' mentioned above as an example, also note the catch crimp.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast