Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Holowback for review

Article about: Dear collectors, is this genuine Stainhauer und Luck badge Thank you in advance! Ziggy

Default Holowback for review

Dear collectors,
    is this genuine Stainhauer und Luck badge
    Thank you in advance!

Ziggy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Holowback for review   Holowback for review  

Holowback for review  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Holowback for review
    P
    Many

Let it go Ziggy, the rear set up is completely wrong for a hollow backed S&L, they never had that type of hinge on the four different variants of hollow back design they manufactured. Also, looking at the obverse, the headlights are wrong for an early hollow badge that this is attempting to copy, and for that matter the solid types as well. They are however identical to the known fake shown below, which as you can see is the same badge as above.

Save your money mate.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Holowback for review   Holowback for review  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks a lot for your input. Helped a lot!

The flashing around the gun barrel and the swastika Ned, is that a red flag too?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    The flashing around the gun barrel and the swastika Ned, is that a red flag too?
    Hi Glenn,

Nearly all badges have flash/edge burr straight off the press, and consequently the badge would need hand finishing to a lesser or greater degree depending, Hymmen badges, especially later ones are an example, as were on occaision Schauerte & Hohfeld. Later in the war when material quality was suffering and dies were starting to wear out and not be replaced as often, this became more apparent as the finishing quality often took a nosedive too with some producers. Therefore the lack of finishing on a badge should not negate it entirely, but one would be advised to bear it in mind when taken with other possible bad signs that may be apparent.

One thing that is a red flag regarding the swastika often found on one of the fake versions of the S&L badges is that the bottom arm of the swastika is not attached to the top of the turret by a narrow 'web' as it would be on a genuine example, it's sort of 'free floating' and is another sign of a bad 'un.

The main thing that gives this one away is the hardware. It's never found on S&L hollow badges. It's more of a zinc badge type set up where S&L hollow types were only ever made of tombak or high quality white metal.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Our Ned knows his "mustard"!! Is that headlamp issue the same "nipple" problem that you have explained to us chaps before? (i'm not talking about my wife, just the badge!!!) Leon.

Hi Leon,

Yes, the 'innies' on the headlamps are not something you want to see on a genuine badge.

Regards, Ned.