Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze for Opinions.

Article about: Sorry Ned perhaps I should've worded it better. I'm with you it's a tombak, hence the "Verdi" (something you won't find on a zinc award). And indeed the only solid tombak PKA. I'm

Default Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze for Opinions.

Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze for Opinions.Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze for Opinions.

Good evening, I too have one of these awards & I am looking for its authenticity. I bought it at a gun show about ten years ago. The pins on the back of medals like these always throw me off, as there seems to be so many fakes floating around. Could someone assist me as well and tell me what they think of it, thank you. This is my first post so forgive me if I breached forum protocol by asking a question on someone else post.

Casey ~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze for Opinions.
    P
    Many

Quote by cjmpaintings View Post
    Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze for Opinions.Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze for Opinions.

Good evening, I too have one of these awards & I am looking for its authenticity. I bought it at a gun show about ten years ago. The pins on the back of medals like these always throw me off, as there seems to be so many fakes floating around. Could someone assist me as well and tell me what they think of it, thank you. This is my first post so forgive me if I breached forum protocol by asking a question on someone else post.

Casey ~
    Hi Casey and welcome to the forum,

It appears to be a Wurster badge, but these pic's are not good enough to call it good or bad. Take some clearly focussed close up shot's in natural light (no flash) front and back and make it all badge and no background as seen here, it doesn't help. There should be a maker mark on the rear top left of the badge as you look at it just on or under the wing. It will be either a small 'w' or a stylized KWM in a circle. It should be there, but some times the mark is very weak or covered in solder, just check it carefully. Good luck with the new photo's.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I would agree with Ned. I think there's a small "W" where it should be. Stewy

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    I would agree with Ned. I think there's a small "W" where it should be. Stewy
    Looking at it again, I think you may well be right Hawkeye.....
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks mate. With a bit of luck we may get some better pics. But as you & i know & appreciate Ned it's a new member posting. So it's all a learning curve & we've all been there.... As long as he doesn't ask a value, I've got all the time in the world. Stewy

Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze for Opinions.Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze for Opinions.Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze for Opinions.

Thanks for the info. These are the best pictures I can take with my camera. There is oxidization on the back and I am unable to see any makings. If it is a real piece and stays in my collection, what do you recommend to clean it up with?

Casey ~

Sorry to be a pain, any chance of a pic with the pin up out of the way? That would be a great help. Stewy

It looks O.K. to me. It's an early type 1.2.2 solid tombak example that's probably been ground dug. There is a fake version of this type, but I'm not seeing the flaws that are seen on that copy. All the same, I'm surprised the small "w" isn't visible at all, but that may be for the reasons I mentioned previously.

Regards, Ned.

Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze for Opinions.

Ned, i was thinking that, it's the only reason to see "verdi" on what is normally a zinc award. It's really the only possible answer. Ground dug, I doubt. More of a barn find, if you know what I mean or badly stored. Obverse would've suffered more if it were G/dug. Ned, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there unmarked examples known? Stewy

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    Ned, i was thinking that, it's the only reason to see "verdi" on what is normally a zinc award. It's really the only possible answer. Ground dug, I doubt. More of a barn find, if you know what I mean or badly stored. Obverse would've suffered more if it were G/dug. Ned, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there unmarked examples known? Stewy
    Hi Stewy,

The Wurster badge here is the only known solid tombak PAB made. The later solid zinc version (type 1.2.4) to which you refer is actually produced using a different die. A second solid version was struck from the type 3 die that was used for zinc production, but these are extremely rare as only a few were presumed made. The two types can easily be differentiated by looking at the the position of the oakleaf veins in one of the bottom right leaves of the wreath. As for it's condition, I'll stick with ground dug, after all the badge is non ferrous and doesn't crumble away as zinc does, but I guess the circumstances of it's finding could be different.

As far as being found unmarked, I've never seen one of either type maker marks being missing from any PAB by this maker, although I have seen some with the small "w" double marked, once on the top left, and again above the catch, but these are very rare. Also a light strike can make for a very weak mark, and excess solder can also hide it. Hope this helps.

Regards, Ned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast