MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Panzerkampfabzeichen "daisy" version pick up, good?

Article about: I picked this up at an antique fair yesterday for 100. How does it look, fellas?

Default Panzerkampfabzeichen "daisy" version pick up, good?

I picked this up at an antique fair yesterday for 100. How does it look, fellas?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzerkampfabzeichen "daisy" version pick up, good?   Panzerkampfabzeichen "daisy" version pick up, good?  

Panzerkampfabzeichen "daisy" version pick up, good?   Panzerkampfabzeichen "daisy" version pick up, good?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabzeichen "daisy" version pick up, good?
    P
    Many

An honest semi hollow 'Daisy' type 'B' by an unknown maker, although most likely Schauerte & Hohfeld due to the many similarities; but the evidence is still not concrete. It appears the catch has been re soldered at sometime, but for 100 bucks I wouldn't let that concern me too much. Nice score.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned. Typically I don't make spontaneous buys but I had a pretty good feeling about it after comparing it to authentic examples online. My reservation was the catch but I can live with it.

A nice pick up for $100.
    Unfortunately, the catch issue will make it a little tougher to sell in the future. If you like, you can see what the original catch should look like here.
    Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, Daisy.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

These are heavily faked, and to a very high degree that regularly fools new collectors and dealers alike, so you did well to pick a good 'un. You can't beat doing your homework carefully when dealing with these badges!
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

So just to follow-up... In your opinion is the catch original and re-soldered or a non-original replacement? In either case, does it appear to be a period repair? It's hard to make out in the photo I took but there is a circular base to at the catch which looks original to the piece. Thanks for your feedback!

Quote by seventyeighth View Post
    So just to follow-up... In your opinion is the catch original and re-soldered or a non-original replacement? In either case, does it appear to be a period repair? It's hard to make out in the photo I took but there is a circular base to at the catch which looks original to the piece. Thanks for your feedback!
    If you take a look at the link I posted, you will see that there should be a flat wire catch with catch plate. Since yours has a round wire catch, I would say it is a replacement. I can not tell you if it a wartime replacement or not but, the quality of the repair would indicate to me that it is likely not.
    Ralph.
    Last edited by rbminis; 04-13-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by seventyeighth View Post
    Hang fire dude. The type 'B' in silver is found with a roundwire catch more often than the flatwire type, that was nearly always seen on the bronze grade type 'B', but both types are acceptable as they had to use what they had in stock at the time during the latter stages of the war.

I believe the entire catch on your example is the original one, although it is a bit distorted. I think the catch and base (or possibly just the catch, it's hard to tell on the pic), came away from the badge but were not lost and it was re soldered on.

Backwards? Not necessarily, as 'Daisy' badges are known to have had the catches soldered on opening both left and right on each of the type 'A' and 'B' awards, it seems this was of little concern.

In essence i'm saying a good type 'B' badge with original catch re soldered, that is my opinion, although others are free to disagree.

Regards, Ned.

Panzerkampfabzeichen "daisy" version pick up, good? Panzerkampfabzeichen "daisy" version pick up, good?

Panzerkampfabzeichen "daisy" version pick up, good?

Good stuff, Ned. I appreciate the detailed response. Helpful to know what I got here.