Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe "50"

Article about: Hello Ladies and Gents, It's been a while since I posted something up for opinion. So I hope you don't mind me asking for your thoughts on this badge. I quite like it. Even though it's damag

?

Default Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe "50"

Hello Ladies and Gents,

It's been a while since I posted something up for opinion. So I hope you don't mind me asking for your thoughts on this badge. I quite like it. Even though it's damaged and a relic, I think it's interesting and quite a rare award.
    One of my concerns is the fact the rim and the back of the award are shiny compared to the centre tank which really tells it's been in the ground a while. Was the rim and back polished? Different medals reacted differently while in the ground? Or something else?

Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe "50"Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe "50"

Thanks, Pat

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe "50"
    P
    Many

?

I would be very concerned about the extent of the corrosion to the tank and the relative pristine appearance of the wreath.
    In fact I don't believe it is corrosion from being in the ground, it looks more like corrosive liquid has been dripped onto it.
    I believe this is an artificially aged and 'relicized' fake. The appearance just doesn't work for me.

I would also be concerned over the semi hollow reverse to the swastika. I don't know if this is a feature of known originals.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Pat,

These JFS II and III stufe badges are faked to a frighteningly good standard that can and do fool many collectors even after an in hand inspection, and that's when they're in perfect condition with all the details visible. The problem here is that the pic's are no way near good enough, and all the details you need to confirm if it's good or bad are no longer there.

There is still things left that can help determine if the badge is good or not, but the only way to discern them is by very close in hand study. For example, the hinge, catch and pin on originals are always all magnetic. But 9 times out of 10 only the hinge is on fakes. The shape of the catch should be like a question mark (?) with a bend in the neck, rather than straight like a walking stick as it is on repro's. There should be stress marks on the edge of original catches that follow the bend, these are not on the bad 'uns.

There are other things as well that can help decide, but that's enough for now. The obvious points that can tell you at a glance if it's good or bad like the eagle's head, it's claws, and the track pin details are all missing on this piece, so making a decision on photo's alone (especially these) is a big no-no. Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, and neither should you unless you're prepared to take a massive risk.

Let it pass son.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I would be very concerned about the extent of the corrosion to the tank and the relative pristine appearance of the wreath.
    In fact I don't believe it is corrosion from being in the ground, it looks more like corrosive liquid has been dripped onto it.
    I believe this is an artificially aged and 'relicized' fake. The appearance just doesn't work for me.

I would also be concerned over the semi hollow reverse to the swastika. I don't know if this is a feature of known originals.
    I like the death by acid theory, it fits with what you can see, or rather what you can no longer see! As for the semi hollow swaz, that is correct for the original badge.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks for your replies friends, I had a feeling there was something "Off" about the badge but I don't have much experience with panzerkampfabzeichen. I was hoping it was original but it isn't worth the risk.

Thanks a million, Pat

Fake dug "relics"....Lordy, what is the World coming to....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The final nail in the coffin:

Panzerkampf Abzeichen 50 ground dag - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

I can't believe the vendor has still got the neck to have it for sale after this link was posted on the advert. Although he was sufficiently impressed to knock off 40 Euro's, lowering it to a mere 350 Euro!