Many thanks Ned and Doug
    best
    éric

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabzeichen opinion
    P
    Many

Hi Doug,

Interesting pic of the cut out grass fake by Staegemeier/Africa Hero. He had major problems with a flaw just above the wreath band in the grass area, and it doesn't stretch the imagination to see that he attempted to get around this by producing a cut out version of the type 3.3.2 that hides this fact....The cunning bugger.

There's still other points of reference on it that show it's bogus though.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Doug,

Interesting pic of the cut out grass fake by Staegemeier/Africa Hero. He had major problems with a flaw just above the wreath band in the grass area, and it doesn't stretch the imagination to see that he attempted to get around this by producing a cut out version of the type 3.3.2 that hides this fact....The cunning bugger.

There's still other points of reference on it that show it's bogus though.

Regards, Ned.
    I agree with your synopsis here Ned but have you noticed the fault in the right hand inspection hatch has gone.
    They are good copies, I am quite impressed.

All the best
    Doug

Quote by Saladin View Post
    I agree with your synopsis here Ned but have you noticed the fault in the right hand inspection hatch has gone.
    They are good copies, I am quite impressed.

All the best
    Doug
    Hi Doug,

It's still there, only the poor quality pic's not showing it up too easily. Note also the flawed panel line above it that's another 'tell'. Below for those not familiar with the badge in question is a picture of the original pre cut out fake AS in Triangle type 3.3.2 that indicates the two flaws and also the damage around the wreath band and grass area that he attempted to hide by making the badge a cut out type copy.

Regards, Ned.

Panzerkampfabzeichen opinionPanzerkampfabzeichen opinion
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned,
    I did spot the flaw was still there on the glacis plate weld line.

Going back to the original badge.
    I still had some concerns but have come to the conclusion that it is in fact an early production 3.3.2.
    It was the finish that to me didn’t match any of the more common 3.3.2 types.
    All the badges I can actually find pictured all seemed to have the general Brennlack finish. (That painted silver look)
    This badge looks to be plated. (Much the same as the finish found on the 3.3.1s)

It’s been a nice bit of research this one.
    Thanks for you imparting your excellent knowledge

All the best
    Doug

Hi Doug,

Having had a seriously long look around at silver examples by this maker after reading your thoughts on the finish, it appears to me that the chrome type finish is actually much more common than the Brennlack glaze that is a lot whiter and matt compared to the one originally posted here, even though it's worn and dirty. I estimate that the odds are around 9-1 that all 4 types of AS in T silver PAB's have a chrome finish. I therefore feel my initial thoughts on it being Brennlack are probably wrong, and you are correct saying it's more likely an electro plated chrome finish instead. When it comes to these nuances an in hand inspection would win everytime I guess.....

Thanks for making this an interesting thread for me, forever learning eh?

Regards, Ned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2