Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Panzerkampfabzeichen A.S. Marked, dug up, need help with it.

Article about: Dear friends, I always start my posts with a great THANK YOU for you guys, it's such an amazing thing that you people are helping everyone, i really respect your expertism. So i'm about to b

Default Panzerkampfabzeichen A.S. Marked, dug up, need help with it.

Dear friends,

I always start my posts with a great THANK YOU for you guys, it's such an amazing thing that you people are helping everyone, i really respect your expertism.

So i'm about to buy this badge. I thought i know enough of these, but i ask you to tell me your opinion about this. Especially you, Stewy, you are the absolute expert in these.

As the seller says it's been dug up in Germany somewhere, he bought it from a collector (probably who found it) and now this badge is in Hungary. It looks pretty bad, most of the details are gone, it's under rust (or it seems like). At the back it's semi-hollow, and marked with A.S. in a triangle. The needle is still there and it has little bit of rust on the back too.

Tell me your opinions please, this badge is for around $120.

Cheers,
    KonyaPanzerkampfabzeichen A.S. Marked, dug up, need help with it.Panzerkampfabzeichen A.S. Marked, dug up, need help with it.Panzerkampfabzeichen A.S. Marked, dug up, need help with it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabzeichen A.S. Marked, dug up, need help with it.
    P
    Many

If these are the only photos you are able to get, I would say forget it.
    They are not taken with enough light to see any detail. There are many fakes of this maker and some of them are quite good.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi, it looks to have the correct rear set up for an AS in triangle to me. It also has a semi- scoop like my award although it does not appear as defined/deep? . Leon.Panzerkampfabzeichen A.S. Marked, dug up, need help with it.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi, it looks to have the correct rear set up for an AS in triangle to me. It also has a semi- scoop like my award although it does not appear as defined/deep? . Leon.
    As I said Leon, there some very good fakes of this maker.
    PAB Panzerkampfabziechen (AS) Triangle
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi, it looks to have the correct rear set up for an AS in triangle to me. It also has a semi- scoop like my award although it does not appear as defined/deep? . Leon.Panzerkampfabzeichen A.S. Marked, dug up, need help with it.
    There's a reason for that. The OP's badge is a die type 3 badge (3.3.3) that has a different grass pattern and, crucially in this case, a different less pronounced reverse scooped out area compared to your badge that is a die type 2 badge (3.3.2). The type 2 itself bears a deep smooth almost reverse image of the panzer, and as said a different obverse foreground.

Whether the OP's badge is original is, as Ralph rightly states, a bit of a lottery when it's in this condition. Having said that, it does have the correct round topped ball hinge used on the type 3 (the type 2 is a flattened top ball hinge), and I can see signs of the parallel lines that radiate from the centre of the obverse side and continue outwards to the edge. These are seen on genuine type 3 badges nearly every time (but not on die type 2's), and are typical for the type. They can be seen if you look carefully at the 3-5 o'clock area on the obverse side.

Not an easy call without it in hand, I would say it's likely genuine as the points i've raised are not really combined together in fake badges yet to make them very convincing to the experienced eye. But at the same time I would not buy this relic badge, as unless you are specifically looking for ground dug pieces this is otherwise worthless to a general collector of Panzerkampfabzeichen's.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Dear guys,

I want to thank you all your help. I have to say, i prefer dug up relics, but this one made me unsure if i want it or not. It's a lot of money for a very rusty badge even if it's a tank one. So at the end i didn't buy it. I've seen this site called emedals.com, they have some Assault Badges for the same price, so probably i go for one there.

Thank you all,
    Kónya

Although I seldom buy from dealers, here is one that I trust. There are many others as well.
    WELCOME TO GERMAN WAR BOOTY
    Ralph.

Hi Konya,

You could try contacting forum member 'Frundsberg' via PM. He's had several ground dug PAB's for sale in the classified adverts here on the forum since earlier this year and may have some left. Worth a shot i'd say.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

good call Ned.