Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, R.S., Rudolf Souval

Article about: Hi guys, today I received this great Badge. Thanks to Ned and Ralph for their help. Hope you like it, Best Regards, Juan

Default Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, R.S., Rudolf Souval

Hi Ned, looking at this badge that is for sale. Reviewing old threads for comparison came up with this one. Do you think this one could be the broad pin type you were referring to?, Best Regards, Juan
    Quote by big ned View Post
    The Robert Souval Panzerkampf Abzeichen is highly contentious due to the fact that like S&L, they produced these badges after the war with a vast array of rear set ups of which all are not documented even now. The hardware set up above is a case in point, it's certainly NOT wartime, but the badge itself maybe genuine wartime stock.

I wouldn't like to say it's a 100% fake in the sense that it has been made to deceive, as the obverse does have the look of an original in various details. Also there are known flaws on the fakes that I don't really see here, but it's a hard one to call for me if I'm to be honest.

One thing that is a fact is that all the wartime R.S. Panzerkampf Abzeichen's are as common as any other makers zinc badge (with the exception of their broad pin type, that is pretty desirable and harder to find) and are available for the same sort of money. Only with most other makers, you don't have the doubts that are part and parcel of this particular manufacturer, and for that reason alone I would leave it and buy another.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, R.S., Rudolf Souval   Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, R.S., Rudolf Souval  

Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, R.S., Rudolf Souval  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, R.S., Rudolf Souval
    P
    Many

I think this thread that Ade entered long ago has the same one?

Panzerkampfabzeichen im Silber: maker "RS"

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph, very nice badge yours indeed. Now that I know that there are no issues with the one I posted it s time to try and get it

Thanks Ned, your like says it all. You are right, these seem to be scarce, have been looking around in the web and do get practically nothing to compare with. Just a question, seller says this badge is silver, is that right in your opinion?, out of the pictures, I get the impression that it looks bronze?

Quote by jamoros View Post
    Thanks Ned, your like says it all. You are right, these seem to be scarce, have been looking around in the web and do get practically nothing to compare with. Just a question, seller says this badge is silver, is that right in your opinion?, out of the pictures, I get the impression that it looks bronze?
    Hi Juan,

Yeah it's a silver one. Looking at it you can just smell the gunpowder!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, R.S., Rudolf Souval

Hi guys, today I received this great Badge. Thanks to Ned and Ralph for their help. Hope you like it, Best Regards, Juan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, R.S., Rudolf Souval   Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, R.S., Rudolf Souval  

Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, R.S., Rudolf Souval   Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, R.S., Rudolf Souval  

Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, R.S., Rudolf Souval   Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, R.S., Rudolf Souval  

Hi Juan,

It looks great! A fine example of the most desirable PAB by this Austrian maker, being one of the very few that utilised a broad pin during production. Talking of production, there has always been a lot of controversy over which Souval badges and awards were war time produced and which were post war made, as they were notorious for doing this.

Well, the photo's tell the story. The broad R.S. maker mark is considered the first pattern Souval used on the earliest silver grade badges, which were given a copper undercoat on BOTH sides to aid the adherence of a quality brennlack finish. Later on this receded to being only on the obverse side, and then at the end no copper undercoating at all and only a cheap wash finish over inferior quality zinc base alloy.

The pictures clearly show the rose red hue of the copper undercoat and shiny brennlack finish that indicates the quality of the earliest design type 5 (or "Vienna Design") production badges which are thought to have come about as early as 1942-43. When there's controversy over a makers production time period, is it war time or post war (?), it's good to know that you've purchased a genuine early piece that by the look of yours probably saw it's share of action.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned, what a great analysis, quality, these go straight ahead to my personal notes. I am very happy indeed with this badge and would consider it to be now one of my favourites in my collection. Still on the search to uncover those hidden treasures out there. You guys will be the first to know, many thanks once again, Best Regards, Juan