Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Why are there copper plated Panzerkampfabzeichen around?

Article about: Why are there copper plated Panzerkampfabzeichen around? Is this normal? Normally they are always bronze or silver plated right? Regards, Marcel

Default Why are there copper plated Panzerkampfabzeichen around?

Is this zink Panzerkampfabzeichen in copper plated normal?
    Normally they are always bronze or silver plated right?

Regards,
    Marcel

Why are there copper plated Panzerkampfabzeichen around?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Why are there copper plated Panzerkampfabzeichen around?
    P
    Many

That is not a copper top coat, copper is red not yellow. A copper undercoat was sometimes applied before either plating, or in later badges, adding a Brennlack coating to help it adhere better and normally aids the finish to remain in a reasonable condition on zinc badges which otherwise are usually found without any finish remaining, except perhaps on or around the hardware and where it was soldered on.

This is a type 1.4.(?) design by the maker Steinhauer & Luck, and they were noted for the many different variants of PAB's of this design type (at least 10) which acts as an excellent reference as to how the company adapted to the increasingly straightened circumstances Germany was finding itself in as the war continued to bite, and the availability of the good quality materials required got less and less.

I think it's fair to say that S&L always strove to produce awards of the very highest quality during the wartime period, and even towards the end they were still amongst the best made medals, badges and awards made during the period compared to many other known and unknown makers.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned,

Your right copper is red. The seller has two same Steinhauer & Luck one called bronze one called copper.
    I know now that it has be yellow copper or kinda gold plating on this Panzerkampfabzeichen.
    So if I understand it right the yellow copper or kinda gold plating is original done cause maybe through shortness of bronze plating?

Regards,
    Marcel

Quote by Marcel R View Post
    Hi Ned,

Your right copper is red. The seller has two same Steinhauer & Luck one called bronze one called copper.
    I know now that it has be yellow copper or kinda gold plating on this Panzerkampfabzeichen.
    So if I understand it right the yellow copper or kinda gold plating is original done cause maybe through shortness of bronze plating?

Regards,
    Marcel
    The finish shown on the above bronze grade PAB is typical of that used by S&L on their earlier solid zinc badges. It's a lighter, almost gold shade that is quite different from most other makers. Later production badges towards the end were not plated but finished with a type of laquer of varying quality referred to as 'Brennlack' which is basically a type of powdered metal that is almost burned onto the surface of the badge in an oven, this may be the case here. Eventually a simple low quality metal 'wash' was used.

Sometimes this was then in turn coated with a type of clear laquer to help preserve the brennlack's appearance as it had a habit of flaking or chipping off, depending on the quality of the individual constituents. If I recall, this clear varnish was called 'Zaponlack'.

The vendor of the badges is mistaken calling 'one bronze and one copper', as we all know the two types are silver (instituted December 1939) for the commanders and crew of Panzers or Panzer Command vehicles, (Dispatch riders and Panzer Maintenance units if in action supporting tanks) depending on having distinguished themselves on 3 different combat days. The later regulations also included medics and signal units that fitted this criteria to also receive the silver grade.

The bronze award was instituted around 6 months later in June 1940, and was for Panzer Grenadier regiments, Motorcycle Rifle battalions and Armoured Recon units (so light armour/soft skinned vehicles as opposed to heavy) that also matched the 3 separate combat days as per the regulations for the silver grade.

There are various other updates made during the course of the war to the basic criteria, including the institution of the numbered grade PAB's in June 1943, but that is more or less the regulations that applied to the bronze and silver grade PAB's and their bestowal as set out by the Heeres-Verordnungsblatt (Army Gazette). I hope this helps.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The finish shown on the above bronze grade PAB is typical of that used by S&L on their earlier solid zinc badges. It's a lighter, almost gold shade that is quite different from most other makers. Later production badges towards the end were not plated but finished with a type of laquer of varying quality referred to as 'Brennlack' which is basically a type of powdered metal that is almost burned onto the surface of the badge in an oven, this may be the case here. Eventually a simple low quality metal 'wash' was used.

Sometimes this was then in turn coated with a type of clear laquer to help preserve the brennlack's appearance as it had a habit of flaking or chipping off, depending on the quality of the individual constituents. If I recall, this clear varnish was called 'Zaponlack'.

The vendor of the badges is mistaken calling 'one bronze and one copper', as we all know the two types are silver (instituted December 1939) for the commanders and crew of Panzers or Panzer Command vehicles, (Dispatch riders and Panzer Maintenance units if in action supporting tanks) depending on having distinguished themselves on 3 different combat days. The later regulations also included medics and signal units that fitted this criteria to also receive the silver grade.

The bronze award was instituted around 6 months later in June 1940, and was for Panzer Grenadier regiments, Motorcycle Rifle battalions and Armoured Recon units (so light armour/soft skinned vehicles as opposed to heavy) that also matched the 3 separate combat days as per the regulations for the silver grade.

There are various other updates made during the course of the war to the basic criteria, including the institution of the numbered grade PAB's in June 1943, but that is more or less the regulations that applied to the bronze and silver grade PAB's and their bestowal as set out by the Heeres-Verordnungsblatt (Army Gazette). I hope this helps.

Regards, Ned.
    Hello Ned,

This helps allot!
    Its so Great to have you around with all your knowledge.

Regards,
    Marcel

Hello, my "golden" PKA Steinhauer&LuckWhy are there copper plated Panzerkampfabzeichen around?