Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen with Block Hinge, Attributed RK, Rudolph Karneth.

Article about: I was taking some photos today and felt that I would post an item or two from my collection that I have not posted before. Here is a solid zinc example that is unmarked but has bee attribute

Default Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen with Block Hinge, Attributed RK, Rudolph Karneth.

I was taking some photos today and felt that I would post an item or two from my collection that I have not posted before.
    Here is a solid zinc example that is unmarked but has been attributed to the firm of Rudolph Karneth, RK. This one has the less often seen crimped in block hinge. I can not believe this was a very secure attachment method.
    It uses the same catch as the ball hinge that we see more often, a crimped in round wire ? catch. Unfortunately, not all, but most of the frosting has been absorbed on the obverse and some on the reverse.
    Ralph.

Last edited by rbminis; 11-21-2016 at 02:51 AM.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen with Block Hinge, Attributed RK, Rudolph Karneth.
    P
    Many

Hi Ralph,

It's a type 'B' die pattern that has several small differences from the earlier diecast type 'A' they used after the original hollow version was phased out, the most noticeable point between the two being the heavily flawed head of the eagle.

I think it's safe to say that this rear set up was the last type they used as the hardware previously utilised was always made from tombak whereas by this stage of the war materials like that were in extremely short supply so they had to make do with inferior types of metals/alloys.

In this case the hinge is a folded sheet metal type and the wire catch is also a similar material (steel?) rather than the earlier and superior brass alloy which was now in very restricted use for other more important uses. It's a good representative piece of what was the declining fortunes of the reich by this stage of the war.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for your synopsis Ned!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Nice late war badge! I see the crude hinge / pin attachment you show in your excellent close up view. Doesn't seem as this would hold up well on a battle uniform. Bob

Quote by Combat Boots View Post
    Nice late war badge! I see the crude hinge / pin attachment you show in your excellent close up view. Doesn't seem as this would hold up well on a battle uniform. Bob
    Thank you Bob!
    I believe at this point it was more about efficiency in producing these awards.
    Ralph.