Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen identifikation?

Article about: Received this from member Kevin Groeters in Netherlands a while back. I assume it's real but sure what it is, is it a bronze variation? Anyway, any idea of maker, and how can you tell this?

Default Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen identifikation?

Received this from member Kevin Groeters in Netherlands a while back. I assume it's real but what is it, is it a bronze variation, any idea of maker, and how can you tell this? How can you tell zinc from tomback, what is tomback, etc...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen identifikation?
    P
    Many

Although I can not tell you the maker, I can tell you that this is an original silver zinc example. They did not make bronze GABs. The bubbling on the reverse is a good indication of an original zinc badge.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ok, got it. I guess I meant to say "in bronze" meaning the grade of the award because of that goldish color, but this is a Silber grade.

Zinc is the parent metal then?

They only issued one grade of this award, silver. The zinc is what you see protruding through the worn high points on the obverse. There is a silver finish added to the award after it is stamped and the bronze color you see is the patina that is often taken on by these silver awards after a period of time.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ok, thx Ralph. My ignorance is showing terribly... at some point I'll have to pickup a reference book on awards.

This is a great looking award!

Quote by Larboard View Post
    At some point I'll have to pickup a reference book on awards.
    Likely more than one.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Received this from member Kevin Groeters in Netherlands a while back. I assume it's real but what is it, is it a bronze variation, any idea of maker, and how can you tell this? How can you tell zinc from tomback, what is tomback, etc...

The maker of this badge is Wilhelm Deumer of Ludenscheid. The silver finish has faded and patinated to a bronze appearance which is typical of zinc badges by this particular maker. As said, it's a solid (massive) zinc example and not tombak/buntmetall which is a brass alloy nearly always found in hollow form badges although there is a least one exception with a solid tombak/buntmetall version of GAB and PAB by Wurster.

Finally, I can tell it's a Deumer badge as I've closely studied the many variations of GAB's through both handling them and studying the textbooks and forum threads by knowledgable collectors in this field. There's no easy method, that's the only way you can do it. I hope this answers your questions.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned, Thx much for this information, you're a gem on this site.

I'm starting to understand what your area of expertise is, awards, and obviously from a previous thread, SS Honor rings. This level of expertise is what makes this site a place I want to be to a learn a little, or a lot, of new stuff everyday.

Thx for taking the time, I will keep this as a record for the badge. This kind of info is priceless.

I think Deumer is a fairly well respected badge maker?

I'm starting to get more interested in badges. A while back it was caps, and I learned some rudimentary things, now it may be awards.

I always see the names of Souval, Godet for EK's, and some others being the premier award makers, and now I'm looking forward to actually learning some of this info (I did a Wiki search on Tombac last night that answered those questions). Questions like for instance, what are all the awards Deumer made, and did many award makers also make EK's?

To the novice, it is rather amazing how advanced collectors can determine a maker by a few certain details.

Anyway, thx again for the enormously informative post