Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen Opinions Please

Article about: Hello All, as you may know (or not) I am pulling out some old boxes of memorabilia that have been languishing for years unloved and unlooked at since the late 80s early 90s. So now in these

Default Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen Opinions Please

Hello All,
    as you may know (or not) I am pulling out some old boxes of memorabilia that have been languishing for years unloved and unlooked at since the late 80s early 90s.

So now in these years of enlightenment I thought it worth my while going through what I have and thought was original (now to find out they are duds) and more unusually badges that I thought were duds and appearing to be original.

So to the badge below. This one from around 86/7 was popped in to a dud box.
    I pulled him out and had a look again did some in depth research and I do believe that it has the real possibility of being an original Paul Meybauer badge.
    I have looked at lots of badges and compared hardware, eagles and overall construction.

To conclude this is my take on the badge is:
    It has the correct hinge...semi elliptical base plate and brass pin.
    It has a variant round base plate round wire hook. (there does seem to be a lot of variants on these later produced badges (perhaps they were just sweeping up old stock)
    There was some amount of old polish? These are on the first set of pictures.

On the second set I have given it a warm water wash to clean off the crud

Any opinions welcomed.

Doug

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen Opinions PleaseAllgemeines Sturmabzeichen Opinions PleaseAllgemeines Sturmabzeichen Opinions PleaseAllgemeines Sturmabzeichen Opinions PleaseAllgemeines Sturmabzeichen Opinions Please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen Opinions Please
    P
    Many

The second set of pictures:

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen Opinions PleaseAllgemeines Sturmabzeichen Opinions PleaseAllgemeines Sturmabzeichen Opinions PleaseAllgemeines Sturmabzeichen Opinions PleaseAllgemeines Sturmabzeichen Opinions Please

Neds the man but Imo its a good one.

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Hello All,
    as you may know (or not) I am pulling out some old boxes of memorabilia that have been languishing for years unloved and unlooked at since the late 80s early 90s.

So now in these years of enlightenment I thought it worth my while going through what I have and thought was original (now to find out they are duds) and more unusually badges that I thought were duds and appearing to be original.

So to the badge below. This one from around 86/7 was popped in to a dud box.
    I pulled him out and had a look again did some in depth research and I do believe that it has the real possibility of being an original Paul Meybauer badge.
    I have looked at lots of badges and compared hardware, eagles and overall construction.

To conclude this is my take on the badge is:
    It has the correct hinge...semi elliptical base plate and brass pin.
    It has a variant round base plate round wire hook. (there does seem to be a lot of variants on these later produced badges (perhaps they were just sweeping up old stock)
    There was some amount of old polish? These are on the first set of pictures.

On the second set I have given it a warm water wash to clean off the crud

Any opinions welcomed.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Can't add much to what you've said, I agree these late war semi hollow Meybauer GAB's do seem to turn up with various rear set ups so there's a few variants around, some rarer than others. It certainly seems to have seen it's share of action, you can almost smell the gunpowder!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I like it too.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

That's great news men, thanks for your input and reassurance.
    It's nice to know that there are some things that I bought back in the early days have now received the recognition they deserve.

My dud box isn't getting emptier though! When good stuff like this one comes out it seems that another couple go back in.

All the best
    Doug