Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ASA with certificate of authenticity by Detlev NIEMANN dated 11/2008

Article about: Hey Guys, I have the possibillity to buy this badge, but there is a lot of contreversy about Niemanns expertise, I read on different Forums. The seller has no problem with me asking a second

Default ASA with certificate of authenticity by Detlev NIEMANN dated 11/2008

Hey Guys,
    I have the possibillity to buy this badge, but there is a lot of contreversy about Niemanns expertise, I read on different Forums.
    The seller has no problem with me asking a second opinion.
    So I would like your opinion on this badge By Rudolf Souval.( the seal was put on by the owner so to make sure he was getting his badge back and not another one, apparently Detlev Niemann wasn't to happy with that.)
    Looks good at first sight, compared it to a few suposed originals(also the one that Ade showed here on the forum)
    Do you guys see anything wrong with it?
    What would be a good price range for this one?
    These are the only pictures I've got for the moment so I hope they are of some use to you.

Regards,
    Steven
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ASA with certificate of authenticity by Detlev NIEMANN dated 11/2008   ASA with certificate of authenticity by Detlev NIEMANN dated 11/2008  

ASA with certificate of authenticity by Detlev NIEMANN dated 11/2008  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ASA with certificate of authenticity by Detlev NIEMANN dated 11/2008
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: ASA with certificate of authenticity by Detlev NIEMANN dated 11/2008

The badge looks ok to me which is the main thing. The COA should be left aside as we're not here to discuss the authenticity of that! Evaluate the badge alone, not the paperwork that comes with it as there have been fakes of COAs produced to accompany fake awards.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: ASA with certificate of authenticity by Detlev NIEMANN dated 11/2008

Hey Adrian,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I read a bit about Souval and is it correct that he continued production of his awards post-war?
    The badge is in very good condition, what would be a fair price for it?
    Regards,
    Steven

?

Yes, Souval did continue manufacturing awards after May 1945. That's why giving an opinion on Souval awards is very hard to do. There are some very obvious post war made badges and some that are more difficult to tell. For example, can you tell if the badge above was made in April 1945 or in June 1945 - it's a tricky one!
    The best opinion you can get on Souval awards is that it it 'wartime compatible'. If you decide to spend your money on it then it's your choice and you take the risk - but in fairness, if it's wartime compatible, who can tell you it was made after the war?

I totaly agree with that.
    I like it, but the seller thinks he's got something special just because of the expertise certificate and he will be asking way to much for it.
    So thanks again for the help and advise and I'll be a little more patient and wait for the next one to cross my path.
    Regards,
    Steven

?

The expertise certificate is in my opinion worthless. It should not be taken into account when evaluating a badge and should be used to add value to the award. It should be given freely with the award on it and not used to enhance what is a fairly common badge anyway. The owner would've had to pay for the COA but should not try and recoup his expenditure during the sale of the award that accompanies it.
    From memory, for all awards with less than a €250 value, a €10 charge was made for the COA and for all awards valued at over €250 a free one was given. I believe you would still had to pay if you sent an award to Detlev for authenticity.