Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Early Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen - General Assault Badge - Tombak

Article about: A new addition to my badge collection arrived today. While not mint, this little fellow still glows. I'm thrilled to have avoided zinc with this one as well. The pin was a bit bent up, but w

Default Early Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen : Duemer - General Assault Badge - Tombak

A new addition to my badge collection arrived today, a general assault badge by Deumer Wilhelm. While not mint, this little fellow still glows with a good deal of silver wash remaining. I'm thrilled to have avoided zinc with this one as well.

The pin was a bit bent up, but was easy to put back into pretty good shape. It still shows it had been bent on close inspection, but it's good enough otherwise.

Last edited by avenger; 11-23-2014 at 02:32 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen - General Assault Badge - Tombak
    P
    Many

Hi Scott,

Glad to see you got this lovely early hollow tombak Deumer GAB. A small point (literally) of interest that often helps identify this badge is the tiny 'ding like' flaw in the middle of the bottom feather between the eagles legs. A very common sign, but not seen on all these particular hollow brass badges.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    A small point (literally) of interest that often helps identify this badge is the tiny 'ding like' flaw in the middle of the bottom feather between the eagles legs. A very common sign, but not seen on all these particular hollow brass badges.
    I wondered about that little spot. It looked like it might be one of those telling signs. Ned, you sir are a deep river of knowledge on all these badges. Thanks for "flowing" so freely, and helping us learn more from you!

I hope it's okay to resurrect this thread for a new question about this badge.

One characteristic that has always bugged me about this one, is the dull silver finish it has. Most silver badges I see have a silvery shimmer to them, whereas this one's finish is much flatter than those, and a bit darker. I've taken a photo of this next to my nickle silver IAB to show the contrast. Could this not be the original finish on the GAB? Or, perhaps this has more to do with the brass/buntmetal base metal vs a nickle silver application?

This one has never set well with me for this reason, and I'm not sure my concerns are valid, and I suspect the case is that they're not. But, I thought this was as good a time as any to put these criticisms to bed one way or another, and broaden my study on the period silver finish.

Thanks for any opinions everyone!

Pretty difficult to compare silver finished to nickel silver. For reference, here are two Panzerkampfabzeichen from the same maker with two different silver finishes. Both are produced by Rudolph Karneth.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph. I appreciate those comparison shots. The one on the left has a similar dull shine to mine, though my GAB is a bit darker toned. Perhaps it has aged differently due to storage etc. So, probably nothing to worry about then?

I've been comparing it to a few other buntmetal Deumer's I'm seeing, and it does seem like this maker has a somewhat unique silver finish to other makers I've come across. None of these seem particularly shiny, and they exhibit that suede almost lottery ticket scratch off material look mine has on close inspection. The way the silver wears through to the base coat has a very smooth looking gradation rather than a deep hard rub like I often see. It's just such an odd finish IMO, and certainly stands out.

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen tombak

Some GABs

MAP
    ?

I actually like GAB's with your type of remaining finish. They just speak to me in a way

This a great level of detail and is a beauty IMHO. If you don't like it.....I do
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I actually like GAB's with your type of remaining finish. They just speak to me in a way

This a great level of detail and is a beauty IMHO. If you don't like it.....I do
    Oh, I like it fine. I've just never been sure about the finish, and tonight decided I was going to make a study of it and see what everyone else thinks. It's looking like there's nothing wrong with the finish, but it does stand out from everything else I own in this regard.

Hi Scott,

It looks fine to me, just toned somewhat over the years to a darker patina that is rather attractive in my opinion. You could try giving it the acetone test with some nail polish remover of course, if it doesn't start coming off you're good, if it does, it's been messed with. Either way, you'll know!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.