Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Really need your help with fake ailgemeines Sturmabzeichen 50

Article about: Been told this is a common fake.Have studied pictures,but guess I'm too obtuse to be able to identify meaningful differences.Could you maybe present a side by side comparison with an origina

?

Default Really need your help with fake ailgemeines Sturmabzeichen 50

Been told this is a common fake.Have studied pictures,but guess I'm too obtuse to be able to identify meaningful differences.Could you maybe present a side by side comparison with an original?Any assistance greatly appreciated.
    Stteve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Really need your help with fake ailgemeines Sturmabzeichen 50   Really need your help with fake ailgemeines Sturmabzeichen 50  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Really need your help with fake ailgemeines Sturmabzeichen 50
    P
    Many

Steve, I do think it's a copy. But a very good one. They seem to have got quite close to Unknown maker #1's design indeed. Sorry, I can't supply pics of a known original. Stewy

Hi Steve,

The badge is a type I've not handled personally, but is purported to be made by Juncker. Having looked at this one long and hard (probably too much so!) I'm struggling to say if it's good or bad. I know it's been looked at on the other forum twice over, and has been roundly condemned by all of the respondents by saying "Bad one", "Crapola", "Do a search" etc. except our boy Stewy, who at least made an effort to explain his concerns rather than the others who managed to slate it without actually giving a word of explanation as to why.

If the badge is a fake, I too would like to know by what reckoning, as after doing a search on various forums and examining photo's of several badges good and bad, I cannot give a definitive answer I'm comfortable with. I feel it may stand a chance as I really don't see a problem with the rivets for instance, and the base material looks good as well, and the number box doesn't appear over elongated as is normal with fake numbered badges of various types so as to make up the shortfall in the fake badges smaller dimensions due to the casting process. Below are two different fake numbered GAB's (Afrika Hero/Staegemeir) showing the reverse side, note the difference in the thickness of the number box baseline edge for instance.

Really need your help with fake ailgemeines Sturmabzeichen 50Really need your help with fake ailgemeines Sturmabzeichen 50

On the other hand there are points I'm not sure about, the lack of hand filing being one, and also the odd stress(?) crack on the lower right fixing point that is also seen on the fake badge above right, potentially a sign of a flaw in the master badge used for casting the bogus GAB (see below).

My best advice to you would be to carefully measure the badge dimensions with a Vernier caliper (a tape isn't good enough here!) and also weigh it accurately on some jewellers scales or suchlike.

It should measure:

Height: 57.5mm Width: 48.7mm Weight: 31.4g - 32.4g

If there are discrepancies here and the badge is smaller then it's almost certainly fake.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Just found this picture of an old 70's fake. Catch and rivets are different, but oh dear....., there's that familiar stress crack again and the baseline of the number box is thinner, more in keeping with the badge Steve shows.

I'm beginning to think we may have reached the answer here.....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned, thanks. My main reasoning is the reverse rivet mounts. They appear to be more rounded than I'd like. Dagger looks a little odd, but without the other issue (that i see). There doesn't seem a lot wrong, guide mounts for the hinge are good and usually these points are not picked up on by fakers. Stewy

?

Really appreciate your help with.
    Thanks again
    Steve