MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen & replacement hinges

Article about: by Adrian My thinking was tool marks left by the formation process of the hinge? I would agree with this! Ralph.

Default Infanterie Sturmabzeichen & replacement hinges

Hi all,
    I have been looking at the threads on Infanterie Sturmabzeichem makers / construction types, as well as the recommended comparison site (Third Reich Heer Badges). This badge (see photos below) appears to be zinc and, although not maker marked, seems to look most similar to S.H.u.Co. ones. I think the hinge on the one I've photographed below is a replacement as the post showing a replacement hinge on a S.H.u.Co. badge (https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...view-158718-2/) looks the same (hinge affixed over angle-cornered hinge plate). The badge was recovered in this state.

I have seen several S.H.u.Co. badges with replacement hinges would like to find out if this type of hinge was particularly weak?

More generally, were badge hinges/pins often mended/replaced by soldiers in the field using field workshop facilities?
    I have seen a few badges recovered from the ground which have period 'home made' looking replacement attachments - evidence which seems to support this.

Thanks,
    J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen & replacement hinges   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen & replacement hinges  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Sturmabzeichen & replacement hinges
    P
    Many

Default Re: Infanterie Sturmabzeichen & replacement hinges

HI j,
    It has always puzzled me why some makers persisted in using weak looking pins when the badges themselves were so closely controlled for size and shape ( and therefore weight ) I would have thought with the way the Germans were so particular that a standard ( or at least a minimum standard ) pin or securing device would have been authorised???
    Dan

?

The striations on the hinge follow round the bend of the material which makes it look like it's one piece of metal.

I hope Fischer will see this thread and can explain in more detail about the replacement hinges because the smaller tabs do look like they're part of the one hinge we can see and not part of another.

Just for the record, I've got three SchuCo badges in my collection and all of them have the original hinges - at least, none look any different.......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen & replacement hinges  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

I would like to see better pictures from the badge. I am pretty sure its not a SchuCo, but an unmarked Deschler. Hinge looks original to the badge, but can be reattached.

Hi János,
    Sure, I can post more images. Please let me know what you would like to see in particular and I'll upload photos as appropriate. I am intrigued as to maker...
    Thanks!
    J.

?

Hello,

a straight picture from the observe and reverse would be good. Here are two from my collection for comparison.
    Infanterie Sturmabzeichen & replacement hingesInfanterie Sturmabzeichen & replacement hinges
    Infanterie Sturmabzeichen & replacement hingesInfanterie Sturmabzeichen & replacement hinges

Here are front and back images (hopefully OK) of the first badge, and another unmarked one I have added, in case you can shed some light on the maker of that one too?
    Cheers,
    J.
    Attachment 388945Attachment 388946Attachment 388947Attachment 388948

Hello J.

As stated by Janos, your badge is attributed to the maker Deschler.

Deschler used sheet metal hinges for it's Infanterie Sturmabzeichen's and the body was fashioned from one piece of metal. We can see variation in the different shapes formed at the base of the hinge where it is attached to the reverse.
    Looking at Jonas examples, one has a rectangular shaped base and the other has angled corners and is reminiscent of the style seen on ShuCo variants. Why the different shapes is not known; one theory is the hardware of some badges was purchase from an outside vendors and they selected what was available.

Yours also has angled or trimmed corners but are a different shape from Janos example. Yours has a slightly cut in curve in the shape of a "J".

I cannot see your additional pics, the attachments are invalid. You should try and re-post them.
    What I can see in the first reverse pic, the hinge looks original to the badge and has not been reattached. The striations that Adrian points out are a puzzlement. I first thought of stress marks from bending the sheet metal but I think they would wrinkle side to side instead of up and down if caused by stress.

Best Regards, fischer

?

My thinking was tool marks left by the formation process of the hinge?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    My thinking was tool marks left by the formation process of the hinge?
    Hi Adrian

That is a strong possibility; it does look like marring left from the tool used to form the base.

Best Regards, fischer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast