Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: authentic?

Article about: Hey guys, as I continue to sort through a group I bought, I continue to try to figure out what is authentic or a fake piece. Can you take a look at this medal and give your thoughts? Were th

Default Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: authentic?

Hey guys, as I continue to sort through a group I bought, I continue to try to figure out what is authentic or a fake piece. Can you take a look at this medal and give your thoughts? Were they ever die stamped like this? The ones I see online are more solid looking from the back. Thanks

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: authentic?Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: authentic?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: authentic?
    P
    Many

Default re: Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: authentic?

Looks no good to me,The Adler is not right as well as the blocky looking K98.
    A rather poor copy I feel,sorry mate.
    Here's my stamped example to compare.Yours is a copy of a hollow back type.

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: authentic?Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: authentic?

You will find many good examples on the forum to compare with and welcome/enjoy

Cheers
    Dave

yes, yours has many details that mine lacks. thanks! and the grey color is what i ought to be looking for. Mine is very silvery. thank you!

It's not the colour that's the issue as they were originally silver,but over time the silver finish leechs into the zinc base metal,mine has some of it's silver finish remaining around the Adler.It's the build quality and appearence (detail) that is the problem with your example.
    Have a look around the forum and you will see what I mean.
    Cheers and all the best
    Dave

Default Re: Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: authentic?

Hello there,

The badge that started the thread is not authentic.

William Kramer

?

I'm not sure if hollow badges were ever made of zinc? Can anyone confirm?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I'm not sure if hollow badges were ever made of zinc? Can anyone confirm?
    Yes they were produced and some are quite rare types like the Junker hollow zinc IAB. Other makers are Hymmen, Weidmann, Deumer and GWL, there are more. They are invariably known for having weak hardware and are often found sans hinge, pin or catch. Often you find the hinge has been attached to a small rectangular plate and then fixed to the badge, so the manufacturers were probably aware of these problems.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thank you Ned!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Guys

Dave is correct, the badge that started this thread is a fake based on the Hymmen example. These can be found on many of the reenactor sites and on some of the more "unscrupulous" dealer sites being sold as real.

In regards to hollow zinc examples, as Ned states there are several known hollow variants that have zinc as the base metal.
    Juncker, JFS, RSS, ShuCo, Assmann, Deumer, FCL, FLL, GWL, Hymmen, S&H, Berg & Nolte, Muller, Sxchickle/BHMayer, Egghead, "H" and the Vienna Design all have hollow zinc examples.

The badge that Dave shows is a very nice Vienna Design semi hollow rifle with a block hinge. Looks to be in great shape!

Best regards, fischer

PS. Here is an original zinc hollow Hymmen

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    It's not the colour that's the issue as they were originally silver,but over time the silver finish leechs into the zinc base metal,mine has some of it's silver finish remaining around the Adler.It's the build quality and appearence (detail) that is the problem with your example.
    Have a look around the forum and you will see what I mean.
    Cheers and all the best
    Dave
    Hello

Hymmen made hollow and solid examples using Buntmetal early on, switching to zinc for the hollows and finally ending with the familiar L/53 marked and unmarked zinc solids. The badge that started this thread is a fake because it does not match known originals in design, hardware, finish and base material...not due to being made out of something other than zinc.

Here is a buntmetal Hymmen.

Best regards, fischer