Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, Joseph Bergs & Co

Article about: A new addition to my collection. I do not have it in hand yet. Am I correct in thinking that this is from the maker JB & Co.? Ralph.

Default Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, Joseph Bergs & Co

A new addition to my collection.
    I do not have it in hand yet.
    Am I correct in thinking that this is from the maker JB & Co.?
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, Joseph Bergs & Co   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, Joseph Bergs & Co  

Last edited by rbminis; 09-11-2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Edited title to add info
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, Joseph Bergs & Co
    P
    Many

Default Re: Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber

I agree on it being a J.Bergs & Co, badge. They were a Gablonz maker and member of the AGMuK conglomerate I believe. The obverse design is practically identical to one of the Rudolf Karneth die types. They were also a Gablonz based firm, I wonder if they shared die patterns at anytime as the similarity to me is remarkable?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned!
    I will certainly post better photos when it arrives.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

There's a maker you don't see or hear of very often. In fact I'm not sure I've seen any other award from this maker. Did they make anything else?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Nice one Ralph.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    There's a maker you don't see or hear of very often. In fact I'm not sure I've seen any other award from this maker. Did they make anything else?
    They were a very small outfit compared to other makers, in fact their name doesn't appear on the PKZ list of approved suppliers, but there is conjecture that it is one of the 'unknown' numbers subscribed, in this case possibly No.38. Their small size is probably why they became members of the AGMuK conglomerate, so as to be able to tender for government contracts that would otherwise be out of their scope.

They are known to have produced various badges for the RAD organisation (the ones below are just samples of the types they are known to have produced, not actually made by Bergs), and also particularly fine versions of the 'Oktober' medal. I believe the company still exists today.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, Joseph Bergs & Co   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, Joseph Bergs & Co  

Attached Images Attached Images Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, Joseph Bergs & Co  Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, Joseph Bergs & Co 
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

How interesting, thank you.

I wonder if they made EK2s......?
    Attached Images Attached Images Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, Joseph Bergs & Co 

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    How interesting, thank you.

I wonder if they made EK2s......?
    I wonder that too. I've just been looking at the Sticky on the awards and decorations forum and noticed that the firm with the no.39 is described as 'Rudolf Berge'. also of Gablonz, a.d.N. Here's a copy from the sticky for reference:

37 Ad. Baumeister Ludenscheld
    38 (Unknown)
    39 Rudolf Berge Gablonz a.d.N.
    40 Berg & Nolte Lüdenscheld

This is incorrect. The surname should be 'Bergs' the same as Josef Bergs & Co, I found the photo below on Google images of one of their award packets. Note that this company is listed immediately after the no.38 'Unknown'. Furthermore, the addresses of both companies show that not only are they located on the same street in Gablonz, they are actually next door to each other. Could they be related? It appears more than coincidence, but needs greater research, which is beyond my abilities. But no.38 'Unknown'; COULD be JB&Co., but that remains to be seen.

Interesting stuff.

Regards, Ned.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Nice one Ralph.........!
    Thanks Steve!
    Up early?......or late?...
    Ralph.

Hi Guys

Another nice addition Ralph, congrats!

As Ned states, these are now attributed to the firm of Josef Bergs & Co.

For years, these were thought to have been manufactured by Julius Bauer Sohne, Zela Mehlis. The Weber book also states Bauer as the maker. This is not correct.

A new theory was presented to the community by a collector who studies the Gablonz an der Neiße badge makers in depth. He suggests that J. Bergs & Co. produced these examples.

I agree with this theory and base it on the following;

1. Ground dug Infanterie Sturmabzeichen examples were found in the Gablonz area along with J. Bergs & Co. marked medals.
    2. The Ball hinge is used almost exclusively used by the Infanterie Sturmabzeichen manufacturers from the Gablonz area; JFS, RSS, etc.
    3. The maker marked examples have the initials JB&Co. and not JBS.

Not concrete proof but substantial enough IMO to attribute these examples to the Bergs & Co. firm.

Best Regards, fischer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast