MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: would this one be a Mayer or Schickle?

Article about: Hi everyone, I just got this one, and hope everything is in order. It appears to have no markings, and if I have my homework right, the catch might indicate a Schickle, correct? Best regards

Default Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: would this one be a Mayer or Schickle?

Hi everyone,

I just got this one, and hope everything is in order. It appears to have no markings, and if I have my homework right, the catch might indicate a Schickle, correct?

Best regards,

G. Kelly
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: would this one be a Mayer or Schickle?   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: would this one be a Mayer or Schickle?  

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: would this one be a Mayer or Schickle?   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: would this one be a Mayer or Schickle?  

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: would this one be a Mayer or Schickle?   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: would this one be a Mayer or Schickle?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber: would this one be a Mayer or Schickle?
    P
    Many

Congrats on very nice IAB!
    Not conclusively, here is my example. One I thought was a BH Mayer/ O. Schickle, with a different catch.
    Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, B.H. Mayer/Schickle
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I was told it was an unmarked B.H. Mayer, but wasn't so sure. I'm pleased with it, but that one of yours is exceptional.

Best regards,

G. Kelly

Quote by 3986QMTC View Post
    I was told it was an unmarked B.H. Mayer, but wasn't so sure. I'm pleased with it, but that one of yours is exceptional.

Best regards,

G. Kelly
    Thank you!
    Nothing wrong with yours either, as I said, congrats on acquiring a very nice example.
    I believe the BH Mayer normally have a flat wire catch. Fischer or Stewy may be able to clear things up.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi there I think this is a Mayer. But it is a fine line between the two. Stewy

thats a real beauty.

I think that it's most likely a Schickle badge as the round wire catch preceeded the later flat wire type type that Mayer seemed to use as their standard type having acquired the Schickle dies in 1941 when the firm lost it's licence. But that is just my opinion.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks very much to all who took a look and commented. I appreciate it! The relationships between makers (and designs) is a lot more complex than I used to think.

Whoever made it, I do like the looks of this one.

Regards,

G. Kelly

Hello G. Kelly

First, congrats on obtaining such a nice example...
    These early buntmetal ISA's just ooze quality and are a favorite of mine.

In regards to who the maker is; BH Mayer or Otto Schickle....there are passionate opinions on both sides of this debate and I find merit to both arguments.
    Judging by the amount of examples still around today, whomever it was, manufactured a huge amount of badges.

That said, I am still not convinced which maker (Mayer, Schickle or ???) constructed these examples.

BH Mayer with the LDO marking L/18 on a select few of these is a strong argument.
    Otto Schickle, with the "flat sheet metal" catch that Ned mentions is a typical catch for marked L/15 wound badges and was not a common "stock item" used by other makers. This also is a good lead.

Then we have the banishment of Schickle by the PKA and the July 1941 official published announcement of the permitted sell-off of Schickle's "remaining stock" ("noch auf Lager befindlichen") by the Pforzheim Chamber of Commerce. Here to, we know that BH Mayer, Zimmermann and Foerster & Barth (all were business partners) purchased leftover Schickle awards and marked them with their LDO number.

With the multiple theories, most of the collecting community has agreed on the identifier for this one as the BH Mayer/O. Schickle Design ISA.

Again, congrats on a great looking ISA!

Best Regards, fischer

Very nice IAB.