Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Infantriesturmabzeichen in Bronze

Article about: Hello all, Medal 3/3 here. This time it is a Infantriesturmabzeichen in bronze. This one is a hollow back, unmarked example. The detail seems to be ok to me, but I have been wrong before. Wh

?

Default Infantriesturmabzeichen in Bronze

Hello all,

Medal 3/3 here. This time it is a Infantriesturmabzeichen in bronze. This one is a hollow back, unmarked example. The detail seems to be ok to me, but I have been wrong before. What do you guys think. Good or bad?

-Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infantriesturmabzeichen in Bronze   Infantriesturmabzeichen in Bronze  

Infantriesturmabzeichen in Bronze   Infantriesturmabzeichen in Bronze  

Infantriesturmabzeichen in Bronze  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infantriesturmabzeichen in Bronze
    P
    Many

Hi Doug,

This is a fake copy of the Hymmen IAB. It's undersized, plus the cut out swastika and incorrect rear hardware give it away. Also the eagles head that is not really visible in your pic's, looks really weird, even by Hymmen's quirky standards!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thank you, Ned! You have saved me a lot of trouble with this one. Out of curiosity. Do you have a book on German medals that you would recommend?

Quote by dramos View Post
    Thank you, Ned! You have saved me a lot of trouble with this one. Out of curiosity. Do you have a book on German medals that you would recommend?
    There are many books specific to the various awards, badges, shields etc. but a good place to start is Bender Publications who publish some excellent titles. I would avoid the wide ranging ones that deal with multiple types of awards though, like 'The Awards of the Heer' for example, as they are far too general and have no in depth detail on the various pieces that make up the medals, awards, badges and shields that we collect.
    I think the best book currently on the IAB is 'The Infantry Assault Badge' by Sascha Weber, but this is no longer in print and has since been shown to contain some badges that have since turned out to be copies that were unintentionally included. There may something better available now, but I'm not aware of it. Second hand copies can be found in bookstores on the web.

Here's a link to Benders retail site:

Books 1

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

MAP
    ?

Ned,

I like Weber's book but was not aware that some awards turned out to be copies. Any particular ones (so I can note these in the book)?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

You can still get brand new copies of Sascha's book. But as said, things have moved on since then. A better more concise one is coming.Stewy

MAP
    ?

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    You can still get brand new copies of Sascha's book. But as said, things have moved on since then. A better more concise one is coming.Stewy
    Sign me up Stewy
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Doug

As stated by the others, a well known fake based on the Hymmen & Co. hollow example.
    It does have a close resemblance to the originals when viewed by itself.
    When placed next to a real example, the differences are pretty apparent.

Here are a couple of original Hymmen & Co. hollows from my collection for comparison.

Best Regards, fischer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infantriesturmabzeichen in Bronze  

?

Thank you, Fischer! Yes, these medals can get quite tricky, but when compared side by side with genuine examples it certainly helps. Thank you for posting your examples. They are beauties!