Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My Avatar

Article about: Hi Guys I have had several inquiries about my avatar and thought I would post it here. His name is Hauptmann Friedrich Konrad Winkler and he was born on the 22nd of August, 1909 in Worms (a

Default Re: My Avatar

Interesting to see the guy on the left has a PPSh-41. These became popular with the German troops during the battle of Stalingrad I know, but why were they preffered over the MP40 and other German SMG's?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Avatar
    P
    Many

Hi Ned, they were prized for their high rate of fire, 900rpm, and the high capacity 71 round drum mag. They are also very sturdy. Hit someone with one of these and they won't get up again in a hurry.

I have been lucky enough to fire one live, along with an MP40, one after the other in the same afternoon. (Plus a PPS43) Accuracry wise, they both performed well, and I could hit a three man advancing target at 200m with either gun. The MP40 muzzle did climb more, so the crude compensator on the PPSh41 formed by the barrel jacket, did it's job. Out of all three, I prefered the PPS43 though.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Just another observation Gents is that his Y strap clasp is very unusual, a spring loaded one that is normally NOT associated with TR suspension straps and certainly NOT 'textbook'!!!! Russian perhaps given that there is a number of captured items within the group as Ned and Ade have pointed out?

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Sounds like a very good piece of kit, thanks for the low down on it! I haven't had the good fortune to fire one myself, although I did get to shoot an MP40 at an outdoor range in Vegas a few years back along with a Sten and a Thompson. Great fun, but when I put my credit card in the machine it just.....melted!!!
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The PPSh 41 was designated Maschinenpistole 717R in German service.
    Cheers
    Dave

Just goes to show nothings new. Apparently U.S. Marines used captured PPSh-41's for street fighting/house clearing op's in Iraq as the were more suitable than their own weapons in such scenario's. They would fit Collimator head up sights and NV optics to them using cable ties.Amazing.

ade 900 rounds per minute is an awesome rate of fire ,i used to frequent local gun clubs back in the late 80's with my father and as a boy was very lucky to fire an uzi allthough wisely set to semi auto its an experiance ill never forget
    Regards James

One of the funny things about the PPSh41 is that the spent cases are ejected vertically. If you fire a long burst and remain stationary, they all cascade down around your head and shoulders!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Fischer's thread has strayed a bit methinks??
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

the thing i like about the picture of Friedrich Konrad Winkler fischer provided is the steely determined look he has ,such a shame to die so soon after capture ,maybe mistreated at the hands of the soviets
    Regards James

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast