Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need help on Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber

Article about: Hy guys ... i need info about this IAB, if is original and if is Assmann, no punch/stamp on the back . Tnks !

[QUOTE=big ned;1499012]Just looked at this 'Brown paint' issue and I believe it's not the case. To me it's just the bare zinc that's been heavily greased with an application of Vaseline or suchlike, and that gives it a paint like appearance, so not as big a problem as first thought.

Regards, Ned.[/QUOTE)

Mm mm I'm not too sure Ned.
    It has certainly been coated with something.
    If it is Vaseline or some other substance the only way I would ever know is by giving it an acetone bath.
    It still has lots of detail under that brown surface so it would be a reasonable addition to a collection.
    I'd have it if it was cheap enough

All the best
    Doug

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help on Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber
    P
    Many

[QUOTE=Saladin;1499044]
    Quote by big ned View Post
    Just looked at this 'Brown paint' issue and I believe it's not the case. To me it's just the bare zinc that's been heavily greased with an application of Vaseline or suchlike, and that gives it a paint like appearance, so not as big a problem as first thought.

Regards, Ned.[/QUOTE)

Mm mm I'm not too sure Ned.
    It has certainly been coated with something.
    If it is Vaseline or some other substance the only way I would ever know is by giving it an acetone bath.
    It still has lots of detail under that brown surface so it would be a reasonable addition to a collection.
    I'd have it if it was cheap enough

All the best
    Doug
    Confucius say: "Chuck some talc at it........If it sticks, then we'll know".

Need help on Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Made me laugh...,thanks Ned. I needed a laugh it's been a heavy month
    All the best
    Doug

Hi Guys

I agree with the others...an original Assmann & Söhne, Lüdenscheid "A" marked solid zinc ISA in silver grade.
    Like many of the other Lüdenscheid produced solid zinc ISA's the frosted type finish adheres to the solder and hardware over time but not the badge surface.

In regards to the so-called "brown" paint, this could be a combination of several things.
    It does have the appearance of an oily surface as Ned eluded to.
    This reverse looks like it might have been coated with lacquer at one time...possibly an earlier collector trying to preserve this one.
    Also, the Lüdenscheid makers (Berg & Nolte, Franke & Co., and Assmann) are known for coating their zinc ISA's with a type of undercoating or primer before the finish was applied.
    This primer ranges in color from black, rust to a brownish hue.

Without quality scans, it is difficult to say what it exactly is.
    Warm water and Ivory soap would clean it up without being detrimental to the badge. Be sure to dry it completely if you go this route...I use a hair dryer.

In regards to rarity, I would say the Assmann "A" marked examples are a "middle of the road" ISA in this condition.
    There are indeed many more difficult variants to find, but there are also many more common examples as well.

If you can secure this one for 75 euros, I would take it.

Best Regards, fischer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2