Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

NEW INFANTERIE STURM ABZEICHEN,,,MARKED "mkt"

Article about: HI ALL ,,,can anyone tell me who was the maker of this badge,,MKT in raised lettering on reverse,,,many thanks,<Robert

?

Default Re: NEW INFANTRY ASSAULT BADGE,,,MARKED "mkt"

Adrian, someone told me the other week that copper grease can be used to stop zinc pest in its tracks, this came from a metal polisher who works in the city,he deals with antique metals and refabricates and restores, i dont know how true this is, have you ever heard of this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NEW INFANTERIE STURM ABZEICHEN,,,MARKED &quot;mkt&quot;
    P
    Many

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Adrian, someone told me the other week that copper grease can be used to stop zinc pest in its tracks, this came from a metal polisher who works in the city,he deals with antique metals and refabricates and restores, i dont know how true this is, have you ever heard of this?
    A new one on me Dave! There are so many different thoughts on getting rid of the pest and as many different recipes and concoctions so it wouldn't surprise me if copper grease was amongst them.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Thanks, i havent tried it on anything yet but i will try it out on some old alloy that ive got that has the white rot , never know it could work

Most folks use a wiping over with Vaseline to at least arrest,if not stop zinc pest. Never heard of the use of copper grease,but it may be worth a go on an award that's cheap & got nothing to lose by trying it. Stewy

Like my mate Stewy states, I have only used the Vaseline technique and would be leery of the others mentioned here.

Best Regards, fischer

?

fischer, is this an example of zinc pest?NEW INFANTERIE STURM ABZEICHEN,,,MARKED &quot;mkt&quot;
    edit:I'll have to post non-flash pictures, there are some areas of white on this badge that do not show up in this pic

Hi Simon

Your GAB is an example of what happens when a zinc badge is not stored properly. My opinion is this one is probably ground dug. Moisture looks to be the killer here and caused the zinc to decay. Improper storage will cause zinc badges to degrade and break down.

Zinc pest usually shows itself as a white powdery residue and eventually causes the zinc to turn to dust. It is most likely caused by impurities in the zinc and basically you cannot stop the badge from decaying...but you can slow it down.

I use the Vaseline technique on badges that exhibit both problems listed above. I also keep my badges in a dry environment.

Here are some examples of zinc pest and it's effect on the zinc.

Best Regards, fischer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NEW INFANTERIE STURM ABZEICHEN,,,MARKED &quot;mkt&quot;   NEW INFANTERIE STURM ABZEICHEN,,,MARKED &quot;mkt&quot;  

?

Are there any special precautions with the vaseline technique? Or is it just rubbing the vaseline in with a soft cloth?
    Any pointers welcome.
    Thanks--

Quote by Simon2 View Post
    Are there any special precautions with the vaseline technique? Or is it just rubbing the vaseline in with a soft cloth?
    Any pointers welcome.
    Thanks--
    Just apply a good coating & make sure it gets into all the recesses. Then wipe off the excess. Stewy

?

any problem with using soap and water, maybe with soft tooth brush to clean it up first?
    wondering if any way to get some of the crevices cleaned, or better of leaving as is and applying the vaseline

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast