Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinion

Article about: Hello , I'm not German material collector, so I have no idea if this piece is original. Best regards.

?

Default Opinion

Hello , I'm not German material collector, so I have no idea if this piece is original.

Best regards.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinion
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Opinion

Its an Infantry Assault Badge. But it looks a little flat and the lines are real dull and not crisp and detailed, the beak on the Eagle seems to be a bit stubbed or worn down too.

Hello David

This one is indeed an original and it is attributed to the firm of Berg & Nolte, Lüdenscheid. What I like about these guys is the hardware attachment method.
    As we can see with your pics, the reverse die has cut outs or recesses for the hinge and catch.
    The sheet metal hinge does not need a formed base and is simply inserted into the recess and soldered in place.
    The round wire catch is also inserted into a recess and soldered in place.

Not the most popular ISA design with the collectors but one I am fond of.

Best Regards, fischer

?

Fischer,

When those particular badges were produced were they cleaner and more detailed? I ask because they look "Fake"..and dont really look like they were the same as the other manufacturers. I've seen other examples that were very detailed and crisp and solid. If I saw this one for sale I might not buy it because I would assume it was a cheap repro.

The ageing and appearance can be deceiving in pictures and the reason I prefer using a scanner instead of a camera.

In regards to this B&NL, I can see what you are referring to. On some of these solids, a dark almost black coating or primer was applied to the zinc before the electroplate type finish. This coating can "soften" the details and depending on wear, storage methods and the environment, humidity, dampness, etc. all age and appear differently.

Here is one I have that pretty much matches this example, except it is a scan.

Best Regards, fischer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinion   Opinion  

And another in a little better condition...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinion   Opinion  

?

Quote by ZigZag View Post
    Fischer,

When those particular badges were produced were they cleaner and more detailed? I ask because they look "Fake"..and dont really look like they were the same as the other manufacturers. I've seen other examples that were very detailed and crisp and solid. If I saw this one for sale I might not buy it because I would assume it was a cheap repro.
    Good question.

Fischer has answered it better than I could ever hope to regarding these badges but you raise an interesting point.

Some manufacturers produced highly detailed and crisply struck badges that are sought after in collecting circles today. Other makers weren't quite so precise in how they detailed their products and made awards that look quite awful by comparison.

Add the fact that dies became worn, material quality and finishing techniques declined as the war progressed and sometimes today you might be forgiven for thinking some original awards are fake based on the appearance and quality of execution alone.

This is where experience plays a part and poor quality or details might actually be an indication of an original piece. Sometimes an original piece can look like a fake and sometimes a high quality repro will fool the collector into believing it's original.

There is no rule book when it comes to authenticating TR awards, take each piece on it's own merit and don't be fooled by the fact a poor looking piece must be a fake and vice versa.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Yeah, when you compare the first badge in the original post from David, to the Silver one Fischer posted its remarkably different. Davids example looks "fake" and I would probably pass on it if I saw it for sale. The beak on the Eagle looks like it is actually broken off or chipped.

It drives me nuts too because I want to be able to determine what is real and what is fake and its so hard.

Quote by ZigZag View Post
    Yeah, when you compare the first badge in the original post from David, to the Silver one Fischer posted its remarkably different. Davids example looks "fake" and I would probably pass on it if I saw it for sale. The beak on the Eagle looks like it is actually broken off or chipped.

It drives me nuts too because I want to be able to determine what is real and what is fake and its so hard.
    That is also one of the reasons to become very familiar with the hardware that you would expect to find from any particular maker of any award that you are interested in.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Don't get too hung up on it. You will pick things up. Keep reading the forum and don't try to learn everything all at once. Pick a topic and research it, don't waste time trying to identify the fakes, use your time to learn the originals and then you won't need to worry about the fakes.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast