Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on Infanteriesturmabzeichen?

Article about: Need opinions on this badge, prior getting rid of it, need to know about the originality.

Default Opinions on Infanteriesturmabzeichen?

Need opinions on this badge, prior getting rid of it, need to know about the originality.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on Infanteriesturmabzeichen?   Opinions on Infanteriesturmabzeichen?  

Opinions on Infanteriesturmabzeichen?   Opinions on Infanteriesturmabzeichen?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on Infanteriesturmabzeichen?
    P
    Many

This is a n unknown maker pillow crimp with a replaced catch.
    Here is my example.
    Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber, Unknown Maker, Pillow Crimp
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Ralph, I'm not sure the catch is a repair/replaced it doesn't appear so. The finish isn't burnt or missing from around the catch. Just a thought. Stewy

It's not the actual "Pillow Crimp" as is widely accepted IMO, but the much rarer unknown maker "H". The smaller size of the "Pillow Crimps" and the fact that the rear of the rifle is hollowed out rather than flat indicates this.

I think the catch may actually be factory applied like this originally, or after the crimp there may have become unusable due to die wear or suchlike, as the finish of the badge seems to cover it without any sign of later soldering that would indicate a repair. I'd wait for the main collectors of these badges to comment though rather than taking my word for it.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on Infanteriesturmabzeichen?   Opinions on Infanteriesturmabzeichen?  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Yes Ned, I can see what you're on about & it ain't a bad call at all. Can't see the M/M "H" though. Could it be a late war production? It certainly looks it IMO. Stewy

I would agree, likely an "H", but the catch is still replaced, probably at the factory before the finish was applied.
    (Missed the hollowed out rifle.)
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I think the catch was intentionally fixed like this & not even a pre-finish factory repair. I've seen this before. That doesn't mean by any standards that there was/wasn't any or this was the only factory repair. But I think that they either changed to this method permanently or the crimping machine was out of action for a bit & production had to continue, ergo this method. Stewy

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    Yes Ned, I can see what you're on about & it ain't a bad call at all. Can't see the M/M "H" though. Could it be a late war production? It certainly looks it IMO. Stewy
    Hi Mate,

Yes, late war. Previously they used a circular type crimp similar to the method used by some other makers like Aurich did on their PAB's. Here's an example of the earlier type crimped catch found on "H" IAB's.

Opinions on Infanteriesturmabzeichen?

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I would agree, likely an "H", but the catch is still replaced, probably at the factory before the finish was applied.
    (Missed the hollowed out rifle.)
    Ralph.
    Quote by Stewy S View Post
    I think the catch was intentionally fixed like this & not even a pre-finish factory repair. I've seen this before. That doesn't mean by any standards that there was/wasn't any or this was the only factory repair. But I think that they either changed to this method permanently or the crimping machine was out of action for a bit & production had to continue, ergo this method. Stewy
    I think I actually sugessted both these scenario's in my original reply, but yes, that's about the strength of it in both regards.

Quote by big ned View Post
    I think I actually sugessted both these scenario's in my original reply, but yes, that's about the strength of it in both regards.
    That's why I said I agree Ned.
    Ralph.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast