Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Questionable GWL IAB in Classifieds section.

Article about: Hi Guys, I have noticed an Infanterie Sturmabzeichen by GWL in the Classifieds section that appears to me to be a probable copy. Here's the linky: Infantry Assault Badge Bronze maker marked

Default Questionable GWL IAB in Classifieds section.

Hi Guys,

I have noticed an Infanterie Sturmabzeichen by GWL in the Classifieds section that appears to me to be a probable copy.

Here's the linky: Infantry Assault Badge Bronze maker marked - offers - Militaria Collectibles buy - sell at War Relics

The first thing that caught my eye was the catch, It looks wrong to me, but better close up photo's are required of it from various angles to be sure.

Secondly, there is a crease or casting flaw in the rifle butt on the reverse side that is a known sign on fake GWL Infanterie Sturmabzeichen's, it should not be there.

Thirdly, again on the reverse, the gap between the rifle and the Swastika is wider than on originals, another bad sign.

Finally, on the obverse side there appears to be a casting flaw on the bayonet handle. This can be in the form of creases or a 'pimple', but a better focussed close up shot is required again here.

I realise that these GWL fakes can be very good, and many collectors have been caught out by them. Therefore I am not casting aspersions on the vendor's character, it's a very easy mistake to make when dealing with this particular item.Absit Invidia.

Below are some of the vendor's photo's that I've highlighted my above concerns on.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Questionable GWL IAB in Classifieds section.   Questionable GWL IAB in Classifieds section.  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Questionable GWL IAB in Classifieds section.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Questionable GWL IAB in Classifieds section.

you're absolutely right. this is a copy. the casting flaw on the reverse of the rifle butt is well known for one thing. that right there is enough.

Hello again,

I am glad this one was finally brought to light by forum staff. Back on Mon March 5, 2012 I questioned this badge and heard nothing. It took nearly half a year to be brought into the lime-light by the staff but better late than never.

The badge is a reproduction.

William Kramer

Dear William,

I ain't 'staff'....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.