Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

R.S.S. infantry badge value

Article about: Hello, I have the opportunity to purchase this badge, after comparing it to originals posted here I think it looks good. The seller does not have any idea what it is worth, neither do I . Wh

Default R.S.S. infantry badge value

Hello, I have the opportunity to purchase this badge, after comparing it to originals posted here I think it looks good. The seller does not have any idea what it is worth, neither do I . What would be a fair price? Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture R.S.S. infantry badge value   R.S.S. infantry badge value  

R.S.S. infantry badge value   R.S.S. infantry badge value  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement R.S.S. infantry badge value
    P
    Many

Default Re: R.S.S. infantry badge value

Looks like a good R.S.S. 5 vein Infanterie Sturmabzeichen with the crimped set up. Dealer prices are around 115-135 Euro's I guess, so an offer of around 80-90 would be very fair IMO.

See what others say first though!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Looks like a good R.S.S. 5 vein Infanterie Sturmabzeichen with the crimped set up. Dealer prices are around 115-135 Euro's I guess, so an offer of around 80-90 would be very fair IMO.

See what others say first though!

Regards, Ned.
    Sounds about right Ned!...

Thanks for the quick replies! He is also selling a few patches that I posted in the uniform section,hopefully they are original also!

Ned, what does 5 vein crimped set up mean? Would it be early or late war vintage? Thanks for your help with this

Quote by saginaw View Post
    Ned, what does 5 vein crimped set up mean? Would it be early or late war vintage? Thanks for your help with this
    The guy who really knows about these is forum member Don Fischer, so it's probably best to wait for his say so, but in the meantime i'll try and explain how I see it!

RSS didn't start producing Infanterie Sturmabzeichen's until around the mid war period, but when they did there were several variations. I think the one you have shown is what's known as a 'type 1' and the ball hinge and catch are both held in place by crimping the metal rather than soldering it.

The reference to the '5 vein' variant comes from the top right oakleaf having 5 veins coming off the stem. I believe that this is only seen on the crimped versions, as the soldered hardware versions have 6 veins on the top right leaf. There is also some variance in the MM, but i'm not fully sure what they are, it's something to do with the full stops between the letters and the spacing of the letters, some close, some more spread out. I'll leave that to others more au fait with the details for that!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the info big Ned!

I can only agree with Ned's analysis of this RSS example.

A nice RSS example with the crimped in hardware.

Best Regards, fischer

Thank you big Ned, Gunny, and Fischer for your replies! I appreciate your help on this. We will see today if I am able to make a deal with the owner of this!