Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Veteran Bringback Bronze Infanterie Sturmabzeichen "W"

Article about: This thread really pains to write... I recently found a great veteran bringback grouping in the trash. Within it, was a beautiful "W" marked Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in bronze. Th

Default Veteran Bringback Bronze Infanterie Sturmabzeichen "W"

This thread really pains to write... I recently found a great veteran bringback grouping in the trash. Within it, was a beautiful "W" marked Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in bronze. The catch was pretty severely bent, but it was there and the finish is near 100%.

A few hours after finding it, enjoying it, taking photos, etc. I went to go put it away in a plastic sleeve and I dropped it... No more than 3 feet, but it landed right on the catch and the catch broke off. I am so angry and disappointed at myself. The badge survived the war, was captured and brought to the US, survived the garbage... only to be broken by me...

Here are some photos:
    Veteran Bringback Bronze Infanterie Sturmabzeichen "W"Veteran Bringback Bronze Infanterie Sturmabzeichen "W"

I found the catch... part of me wants to try to repair it. Part of me wants to leave it. I'm glad I saved it from the trash... but I am so disappointed in myself.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Veteran Bringback Bronze Infanterie Sturmabzeichen "W"
    P
    Many

Shame about the catch, but still a maker that is not always easy to find in bronze. Nice condition too. Stewy

Man, this kind of poop happens (you make stupid mistakes, you drop things, etc) the more as you get older it seems, you'll feel better in couple days... I've been there many times, have had to sell an item after messing it up just to get rid of the memory...

Awesome badge, btw, what a looker!

There are a lot of epoxies out there that will repair this, at least put the catch back on. I would think silver soldering (with the heat) would ruin the finish, not worth taking a chance on.
    Last edited by Larboard; 09-07-2015 at 09:48 PM.

its certainly a nice badge.clumsy --lol.

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen.

It has been a few days since this happened... I'm still very disappointed.

I wonder if I should attempt a repair or leave it as is. I know the damage is done and the value is forever shot... I just feel so bad.

?

It happens sometimes, now this broken catch is part of the history of this Sturmabzeichen.
    I think better to leave it now but keep the catch.

?

OUCH!!!!Sorry to hear that Joe. It still is a beautiful looking badge which does retain its finish that would display nicely in a frame. Only you would know about the damage. I would not risk a repair , unless you plan on wearing it????
    Like mentioned keep the catch. just in case you find a jeweler who could heatsink it properly where it would not damage the finish when he attempts the repair. Either way it is what it is, a broken catch.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thank you for the kind comments, everyone.

I will keep the broken catch, no worries there. Still... I wish it hadn't broken.

Yes, very unfortunate about the catch.

Myself, I would leave the badge as it is now and place the catch remnants in a small clear packet and store it with the ISA.

Best Regards, fischer

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    This thread really pains to write... I recently found a great veteran bringback grouping in the trash. Within it, was a beautiful "W" marked Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in bronze. The catch was pretty severely bent, but it was there and the finish is near 100%.

A few hours after finding it, enjoying it, taking photos, etc. I went to go put it away in a plastic sleeve and I dropped it... No more than 3 feet, but it landed right on the catch and the catch broke off. I am so angry and disappointed at myself. The badge survived the war, was captured and brought to the US, survived the garbage... only to be broken by me...

Here are some photos:
    Veteran Bringback Bronze Infanterie Sturmabzeichen "W"Veteran Bringback Bronze Infanterie Sturmabzeichen "W"

I found the catch... part of me wants to try to repair it. Part of me wants to leave it. I'm glad I saved it from the trash... but I am so disappointed in myself.
    There is as ancient American Indian saying about things like this.
    "$hit happens"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast