Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German WW2 medal and unkown envelope.

Article about: Bought this medal a few weeks ago from an antiquies fair, have been assured its genuine but need some confirmation and also what the medal actually is (i think it may be a War Merit Cross).

Default German WW2 medal and unkown envelope.

Bought this medal a few weeks ago from an antiquies fair, have been assured its genuine but need some confirmation and also what the medal actually is (i think it may be a War Merit Cross).

I was also given the envelope which i was told is a german soldiers wage packet, although the writing reads IRON CROSS, Second class (please correct me if im worng). I have found nothing on the internet about the envelope or anything to do with a Iron Cross that would have involved the envelope.

Only just getting into collecting war items so im still a bit unsure of how to tell what is genuine and what is fake.

Cheers folks, hope someone can help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German WW2 medal and unkown envelope.   German WW2 medal and unkown envelope.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German WW2 medal and unkown envelope.
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: German WW2 medal and unkown envelope.

Welcome to the forum!
    The medal looks fine, a Kriegsverdienstkreuz (KVK) or War Merit Cross as you say, 2nd class with swords. One of the most common awards to find and also one of the least expensive to collect.
    The envelope is in my opinion a fantasy. EK2s were awarded in envelopes but not looking like this, generally blue in colour, occasionally tan or beige but I've never seen one with a helmet eagle printed or stamped onto it. KVK award envelopes were a tan colour however. I'm sure this is not a wage packet.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I agree with Adrian, good cross but fantasy EK2 packet, that said the packet looks cool, I wish they all looked like that

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

The envelope came separate to the medal, but as you say with the colour etc, all i can find are blue and grey coloured envelopes, not a single one in this design.

It seems i got flogged a fake then ?????? (although i didnt pay anything for it)

?

Quote by RAFcolumbo View Post
    It seems i got flogged a fake then ?????? (although i didnt pay anything for it)
    Then you acquired a fantasy item. It sounds a bit better!

?

Here is a photo of a real packet for future reference. Not as impressive as the fantasy packet you got. Cheers, Al.

I dont know weather to be chuffed i have a decent ''fantasy'' packet or annoyed i didnt get a genuine one . Why would a different design be made, surely a replica is supposed to replicate the real thing ??? (excuse my lack of knowledge on fantasy items)

I dont know weather to be chuffed i have a decent ''fantasy'' packet or annoyed i didnt get a genuine one . Why would a different design be made, surely a replica is supposed to replicate the real thing ??? (excuse my lack of knowledge on fantasy items)
    Sometimes fakers don't do their homework.

?

I shouldn't worry about it, it didn't cost anything so no loss. You can pick a genuine one up relatively easily if you want one.

i would like to get an envelope to go with the medal, would like to have a complete set ideally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast