Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Green tinged KVK1

Article about: Just noticed my KVK1 has started to take on a green hue ! Anyone know why and the best way to rid it please? Thanks Nick

Default Green tinged KVK1

Just noticed my KVK1 has started to take on a green hue !

Anyone know why and the best way to rid it please?

Thanks

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Green tinged KVK1
    P
    Many

Is it zinc? Humidity?

That's what I thought, is it curable?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

wd40 Nick.

?

Well Lord Percy, it should rub off with a soft cotton cloth. I've had it appear on EK frames for example and also on an EK Spange. I'm guessing it's not a zinc piece the green has appeared on?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thanks Lord Blackadder!

No it's not a Zinc piece so I will give it a go and restore it back to its former glory!

Nick

?

Is it in a plastic envelope? I definitely wouldn't be putting WD40 anywhere near it!

That was the 1st thing that I thought of too-is it in plastic? If so, it has to be PVC free or it will grow green ooze on it. Coin collectors have found this out to their horror-especially so on Silver or Silver plate...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Yes Adrian it is, do you think that is the issue?

Is it safe to keep EK's in these envelopes?

Nick

?

I believe there is a link between the plastic envelopes and certain metals. I'm no metallurgist and don't know which compounds/alloys/metal content reacts with the plastic but I have my EKs in similar envelopes to you and all bar two EKs and one Spange have been fine so I doubt it is a huge issue except for the odd award here and there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast