Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Green tinged KVK1

Article about: Just noticed my KVK1 has started to take on a green hue ! Anyone know why and the best way to rid it please? Thanks Nick

?

Default Green tinge

I notice that these awards were issued in paper packets, perhaps an acid free packet?

Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Green tinged KVK1
    P
    Many

Bring back good old cellophane bags I say!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

If you are going to store metal in plastic sleeves, they have to be the Non-PVC plastic-the Hard plastic Only. If the plastic feels softer and malleable-if you can bend it enough to roll it into a tube, it's generally not safe. Like I said, Silver, in particular, will develop a green gooey coating fairly quickly, but I've found that even copper and brass are not safe either. Coin collectors have found this out a number of years ago, but, basically, any metal is not store-able in the soft stuff. And, yes-as Dan said, cellophane is good too. Your KVK1 is silver coated and so it's particularly troubled by PVC(Poly Vinyl Chloride).
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Very interesting guys I didn't know any of this!! So thanks for the info I wil be rolling my plastic sleeves up on leave to check!!. Also Nick maybe the KVK is under the weather..All that Talisker you drink made him feel sick.!!! lol. Cheers Terry.

Glad us southern hemispherians don't have to cope with that climate up north.
    Bit too dry down here to go green.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

PVC is just about the worst place to store anything. I collected coins for years, and have come across several that were badly damaged by storage in PVC.

Besides the soft feel, smell is also an indicator; a scent similar to that of a new shower curtain is another dead giveaway. You can use acetone to remove PVC damage if it's not too severe, but be sure to find precise instructions online. If used properly, it will remove the 'gunk' whilst leaving the original patina intact, but it's easy to overdo, so caution must always be exercised.

?

Thanks Erno for the up dated info I will now be sniffing & rolling my medal sleeves!! Sounds like some of drug session lol. Cheers Terry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2