Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern K&O ”second type made of zinc”.

Article about: Hello again gathering friends! This cross I bought from Jamie7d7 and this is the second type of zinc cross by maker K&O IMO, very nice cross and I also managed to find a case for it. Bes

BMB
    ?

Default Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern K&O ”second type made of zinc”.

Hello again gathering friends!
    This cross I bought from Jamie7d7 and this is the second type of zinc cross by maker K&O IMO, very nice cross and I also managed to find a case for it.

Best regards
    Martin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern K&O ”second type made of zinc”.
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Great looking zinc example

Looks textbook but with one odd exception. According to Maerz book, the K&O has a die flaw on the wreath. A little dot in the leaf (1st Oak leaf to the right of the ribbon at top in 1:00 position) .

I don't know enough to know if there are variations but otherwise it appears to be a perfect match. Maybe it was just worn down.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

BMB
    ?

Hey!
    It's probably a variation as you write. Unfortunately, I do not have Mr Maerz's book, but I probably need to buy this one.

Do you have any image to show where I can see this die flaw (dot), and do this applies only on the zinc crosses?

Have put out pictures of both my zinc crosses and can not find this die flaw (dot) on them.

The variant I call type 1 zinc cross and this variant (type 2) have not exactly the same obverse design. See pictures.

Best regards
    Martin

It looks very nice BMB.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BMB View Post
    Hey!
    It's probably a variation as you write. Unfortunately, I do not have Mr Maerz's book, but I probably need to buy this one.

Do you have any image to show where I can see this die flaw (dot), and do this applies only on the zinc crosses?

Have put out pictures of both my zinc crosses and can not find this die flaw (dot) on them.

The variant I call type 1 zinc cross and this variant (type 2) have not exactly the same obverse design. See pictures.

Best regards
    Martin
    Im out today but will see if I can scan the photos from the book. Or maybe find an example online.

Reference books are important and this is a great one but it doesn't always mean they are 100% correct or cover all variations.

So not saying yours is bad at all.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Been looking on the forum for an example...but no one can take clear photos...lol except for GWAR in this link.

On my cell so I can't be certain but I think I see it (it actually looks like a bright spot from the glare.)

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse.

BMB
    ?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    It looks very nice BMB.
    Hey!
    Thank you very much!

Best regards
    Martin

BMB
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Been looking on the forum for an example...but no one can take clear photos...lol except for GWAR in this link.

On my cell so I can't be certain but I think I see it (it actually looks like a bright spot from the glare.)

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse.
    Hi!
    I agree with you it is difficult to find someone who takes sharp pictures on the forums.

I can't say that I see any die flaw on the cross you are linking to, I think it's the paint that lights up, and the cross is of the tombak model.

Insert pictures on my 2 tombak crosses can't find any dei flaw at them. Have also looked at Weitze's site on 2 zinc crosses can't see any dei flaw on them either.

Best regards
    Martin

MAP
    ?

Good discussion. I'll scan the book when I get home. Heck...maybe I was looking at the wrong page lol

MAP
    ?

Sorry for the delay Martin....

Here is the "dot"

I'm also not seeing the pebbling line up line with what is in the book (see red highlights - the author did this, not me) and the pins are fluted. Further the thickness of the border of the cross on the obverse is different.

But you note something about two variants in post #3. (The one on the left matches up to the book.) Maerz doesn't mention different obverse variants or pin set ups or the border.

But then again, this is just what is in his book and I'm not claiming I know. I can mark it in my book as a known variant.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast