Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern K&O ”second type made of zinc”.

Article about: Hello again gathering friends! This cross I bought from Jamie7d7 and this is the second type of zinc cross by maker K&O IMO, very nice cross and I also managed to find a case for it. Bes

BMB
    ?

Hi MAP and Ralph, thank you for your posts!

I agree with you Ralph that it is rather part of the oak leaf outer edge than a dei flow and rather a design "characteristic" as you write MAP. The Pictures from the book are of a tombac cross.

I know very well about this type of cross that the thread is about and I think it is the last type of cross made by K&O and absolutely no fake cross.

What I have come up with if I remember correctly there are 6 different variants of K&O crosses.

Best regards
    Martin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern K&O ”second type made of zinc”.
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Interesting that their are six different die set ups. Or are you saying 6 different types when considering metal used as well as reverse hardware?

Yes, the photo are the tombac cross but the book also shows the same in zinc as well. I just didn't provide the photo as it was more clear on the tombac.

Interesting discussion....(just wait till you see the KvK I'll be posting over the coming week . Now that will be an interesting one )
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

BMB
    ?

No, only two different die set ups.

Tombac: Three variants all same die set up, reverse hardware three variants.

Type 1a: First die set up, flat straight pin and round flat wires catch no mm.
    Type 1b: First die set up, same as type 1a but same catch as type 2 and mm.
    Typ 2: First die set up, tapered pin and angled flat wires catch mm.

Zinc: Three variants, two different die set up, reverse hardware two variants.

Type 3: First die set up, molded hinge and catch and hollow tapered pin mm.
    Type 4a: Second die set up, same reverse hardware as type 3 mm.
    Type 4b: Second die set up, molded hinge and catch and flat pin mm.

This is how I remember it to be.

Best regards
    Martin

I do like K&O crosses but I was glad that my zincker went to a good home.

Here are my remaining "62's"

This one has the owners name scratched into it along with the date and place it was awarded. Alfred Muller 4/4/45, Schillerstr. 7 Osterode am Harz (this town was captured by the Americans on 12/4/45!)

I have been able to do some research with the help of a local historian from the town and it is possible that Alfred was a member of a Luftwaffe Flak Unit which was situated in this street prior to retreating from the advancing Allies.

BMB
    ?

Hi Jamie!
    Looks like a Type 2 and a Type 4a cross according to my list.

Best regards
    Martin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3