Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern. Very hard to find tombac cross.

Article about: Hey! I had not intended to buy any crosses for a while but could not resist buying this very unusual tombac cross by maker Hymenn & Co (L/53) IMO. I didn't know this type existed by this

BMB
    ?

Default Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern. Very hard to find tombac cross.

Hey!
    I had not intended to buy any crosses for a while but could not resist buying this very unusual tombac cross by maker Hymenn & Co (L/53) IMO. I didn't know this type existed by this maker.

I hope you like it!

Best regards
    Martin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern. Very hard to find tombac cross.
    P
    Many

Martin

I think this may not be an authentic cross, there are a number of issues with it, which I will try and highlight.

Hymmen are recorded as only constructing their KvK1 with swords out of zinc, 1 with a pinback and the other a screwback. No tombac example has yet been recorded.

Looking at photo 3 in particular (the reverse of the cross) All of the score/casting marks do not look like a die cast piece should. Even without close up viewing, it appears that the rear of the piece has been very crudely finished. The hook is also different from the expected Hymmen type.

Furthermore, from looking at the front, the sword handles do not match the L/53 pattern.

Here are my (except the 1st which is now sold) Hymmens for comparison, all zinc

Zinc, brass pinback

Zinc, normal pin

Zinc, Screwback

BMB
    ?

Hi Jamie!
    ”Hymmen are recorded as only constructing their KvK1 with swords out of zinc.”
    According to whom?

This is an absolutely original cross that matches Hymmens obverse design, have compared it with my two zinc crosses one of them I bought from you. One cannot look at such small details as scratches on the reverse or hardware differences there are many makers which has variants on the hardware.

Puts out one of my other crosses to compare with.

Best regards
    Martin
    Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern. Very hard to find tombac cross.Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern. Very hard to find tombac cross.

BMB
    ?

Here is a perfect original of a deumer with scratches on the back and yes a variant on the hardware.

Best regards
    Martin
    Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern. Very hard to find tombac cross.Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwertern. Very hard to find tombac cross.

Martin

Sorry I should have started my statement "All the evidence points to Hymmen only making KvK1 from zinc"

The sources I use to support this are the books by Gordon Williamson, Dietrich Maerz & George Stimson, the extensive catalog on the kvk dna site (ek1-dna.de) information, photographs and posts on this site, the WAF and GCA.

Add that to the time I have spent scouring the internet in my hunt for every KvK1 that I could find which was different, and not once seeing, reading about, or finding an L/53 made of tombac.

This is the explanation as to why I came to my conclusion.

I know that you are more knowledgeable on the subject of KvK1 than I, but as you'll know from our conversations, I didn't collect almost 50 different KvK1 just to claim that I had a lot.

If indeed you, have found one of the first known tombac L/53s then my hearty congratulations and jealousy to you. I think that it is just not for me.

Best

Jamie

BMB
    ?

Hi Jamie!

Jamie:
    ”Sorry I should have started my statement "All the evidence points to Hymmen only making KvK1 from zinc"

Martin:
    I wouldn't call this evidence, just because no tombac cross has been found by maker Hymmen. The only evidence you can talk about is that they are very unusual if there are some IMO.

Jamie:
    ”The sources I use to support this are the books by Gordon Williamson, Dietrich Maerz & George Stimson, the extensive catalog on the kvk dna site (ek1-dna.de) information, photographs and posts on this site, the WAF and GCA.

Add that to the time I have spent scouring the internet in my hunt for every KvK1 that I could find which was different, and not once seeing, reading about, or finding an L/53 made of tombac.”

Martin:
    This in my opinion just proves that they are very unusual, I would however be worried if it suddenly started to emerge many in the market. The faker does not produce only one piece, there is no money in it.

I have studied/collected KVK cross since the early 90's but can't say I know everything, you learn new things all the time. In many ways is this hobby not a science rather a thought in my opinion.

Best regards
    Martin

BMB
    ?

Hello again!
    Hymmen uses this type of hardware with a very similar catch on their EK1 crosses, so I would like to say that all evidence indicates that this cross is made by Hymmen.

Best regards
    Martin