Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern for new enthusiast

Article about: HI! I am new to forum. Actually I am new to militaria collecting. Few days ago, my friends and I bought as a gift for our history-loving friend for 18th birthday a war merit cross, from a sp

Default Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern for new enthusiast

HI!

I am new to forum. Actually I am new to militaria collecting. Few days ago, my friends and I bought as a gift for our history-loving friend for 18th birthday a war merit cross, from a specialized store. I got interested, and on local variant of ebay/craiglist I found guy selling war merit cross, this one silver (first class?).

Price is really low, which can be explained that hobby isn't popular in my country (Bosnia), and living standard, which is lower than in rest of Europe. However, during occupation of Yugoslavia, there were 7 major actions between partisans and Germans, out of which 6 on Bosnian soil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Enemy_Offensives), which explains that I found two war merit crosses in two days, as soon as I started looking for them.

My question is, most importantly, is this fake, or it is real bargain. What would be fair price? All help is welcome!
    Last edited by rbminis; 02-19-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology and to orient photos correctly.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern for new enthusiast
    P
    Many

Hi there and welcome along. I also am relatively new to this hobby so as I have found out, you are on the right forum!

This isn't a Kriegsverdienstkreuz Klasse 1 (Ralph will get onto you about proper terminology when he wakes up!) as those awards are single sided ie the design would just be on one side with the swastika in the centre and the pin on the back.

The cross you have posted is in the style of a Kriegsverdienstkreuz Klasse 2. These come in a bronze / tombac colour, or grey if made of zinc and coated with bronze/copper colour. The ring on top doesn't look right either, the ones I've seen are smooth and round, not blocky and squared off like yours.

Have a look in this forum and you will see an almost infinite number of KVKs to look at and judge them against the one you have shown.

I wouldn't be buying it.

Quote by jamie7d7 View Post
    Hi there and welcome along. I also am relatively new to this hobby so as I have found out, you are on the right forum!

This isn't a Kriegsverdienstkreuz Klasse 1 (Ralph will get onto you about proper terminology when he wakes up!) as those awards are single sided ie the design would just be on one side with the swastika in the centre and the pin on the back.

The cross you have posted is in the style of a Kriegsverdienstkreuz Klasse 2. These come in a bronze / tombac colour, or grey if made of zinc and coated with bronze/copper colour. The ring on top doesn't look right either, the ones I've seen are smooth and round, not blocky and squared off like yours.

Have a look in this forum and you will see an almost infinite number of KVKs to look at and judge them against the one you have shown.

I wouldn't be buying it.

Thanks Jamie. But what about class 2. Do they have second side (1939 side)?

Yes they do but like I said, your one don't looky likey.

Before you face the wrath of the gaffers, please post photos and questions in relation to all your other items in the appropriate section. If you are looking for similar items you can use the "search" at the top right of the page, it is truly a wonder of modern searchability functionalityicity!

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    What Jamie has told you is correct, this is not a 1st class. They were all finished in a silver tone but, some absorbed the finish rather quickly and some did not, depending on the material they were constructed of.
    I will move your thread to the correct section where you should be able to find many threads containing 2nd class crosses.
    I also agree with Jamie in that this one does not look original to me. The hoop at the top looks incorrect and there should also be a ribbon ring attached.

Please read these two threads.
    The Use of German Terminology.
    Uploading photos and posting multiple items.
    Thank you,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)