Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?

Article about: Dear Friends, I have this War Merit Cross 2nd class, and I'm not sure if it's original or fake. The ring has no trademark of the manufacturer. The cast looks good. Can you help me? The fotos

Default Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?

Dear Friends,

I have this War Merit Cross 2nd class, and I'm not sure if it's original or fake.
    The ring has no trademark of the manufacturer. The cast looks good.

Can you help me?

The fotos are attached.

Best regards,

VonRiver

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?
    Last edited by Adrian; 07-30-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?
    P
    Many

Default Re: War Merit Cross 2nd class - Original or Fake?

A lovely minty cross

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Nick,

I was looking at the edges. There is some excess material around the base of the grips, as best seen on the "1939" side. Should there be any concern with that? I thought the detail in the wreath was a little soft, but maybe not. Been a while since I looked at mine.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Nick,

I was looking at the edges. There is some excess material around the base of the grips, as best seen on the "1939" side. Should there be any concern with that? I thought the detail in the wreath was a little soft, but maybe not. Been a while since I looked at mine.
    I see what you mean but the wreaths have a tendency to look soft on these crosses. Lets see what others say but I dont have any concerns

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

The cross seems painted with a layer of brown.
    Want better photos?

Regards.,

VonRiver

Photos in natural daylight might help with that. You took very good detailed photos. Indoor lighting isn't always good for these awards.

OK. Daylight fotos:

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse - Original or Fake?

IMO, a 'minty' example, as Nick has said.

These crosses and many other Third Reich era awards have a bronze patination
    applied at the factory over the raw metal - even Hindenberg crosses are
    treated with this finish - especially noticeable on any of the
    later zinc medals.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I've got no problem with it, a superb piece in mint condition. I have a very similar piece with the dark brown areas too. My thoughts are that it is where the finish has accumulated in these areas and is therefore thicker and darker. It also probably has the lacquer still coating the surface.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Ok.
    Thank you all.

Regards.,

VonRiver