Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse Ribbon Question

Article about: Hello all, I have a medal that has been in the family for quite some time that I recently identified as the German War Merit Cross, 2nd Class with swords. It was the medal only, the ribbon w

Default Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse Ribbon Question

Hello all,

I have a medal that has been in the family for quite some time that I recently identified as the German War Merit Cross, 2nd Class with swords. It was the medal only, the ribbon was missing. I recently purchased a replacement ribbon to go with it. Obviously, the ribbon should go through the ring at the top of the medal. My question is, how was the ribbon attached to the uniform. Was there originally some type of clasp that held the ribbon to the uniform? Hope this isn't a stupid question, thanks!

Paul
    Last edited by rbminis; 07-17-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse Ribbon Question
    P
    Many

The medal itself, much like the Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse (Iron Cross 2nd Class), was worn only on the day of presentation. After that, the ribbon alone was worn on the tunic, threaded through the buttonhole and stitched to the tunic on the inside. An example of the KVK.II. ribbon in wear below.

It could also be worn as part of a ribbon bar, which had a clasp on the back that threaded through the small stitched loops above the breast pocket. In this case the ribbon would either be plain, or would have a small pair of crossed swords attached, denoting which version of the award the recipient had received.

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse Ribbon QuestionKriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse Ribbon Question

In future, you'll want to use the German terminology for the relevant award in the thread title. It's a rule here.

Regards, B.B.

Thanks very much BB! So for storage purposes I guess it would be fine just to run the ribbon through the loop at the top of the medal with the ends of the ribbon free. Thanks again!

MAP
    ?

It could also be worn on a medal bar / Parade mount. But these were more for parades and formal occasions.

But yes...for display purposes just run the ribbon through the ring. If it was an original ribbon and it was never run through I would recommend leaving it separate but a repo is fine to display attached.

Photo courtesy of eMedals.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Please read this thread regarding the titles of your threads.
    The Use of German Terminology.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Got it Ralph, thanks!