Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsverdienstkreuz Klasse 1. ohne Schwertern - Please help identify maker

Article about: Guys, I have spied, what on the face of it looks like a decent KVK1 without swords. However, I have given myself a headache looking at different makers over the last while and now I don't kn

Default Kriegsverdienstkreuz Klasse 1. ohne Schwertern - Please help identify maker

Guys,

I have spied, what on the face of it looks like a decent KVK1 without swords.

However, I have given myself a headache looking at different makers over the last while and now I don't know whether I am coming or going.

Can someone put me out of my misery and assist with the maker?

Many thanks, Jamie

Last edited by jamie7d7; 01-19-2018 at 04:47 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz Klasse 1. ohne Schwertern - Please help identify maker
    P
    Many

That cross has leaves on wreath in wrong, opposite, direction. I think its some copy, or postwar. Reverse set-up is closest to Franke&Co Ludenscheid, but that one considers as controversial. You should wait for some other opinions.
    Best regards,
    Franko

Yeah I think the photo is 180 degrees the wrong way Franko, I shall go and fix. I've been told it may be a Wernstein but I thought they just made zinc made crosses. This appears to be tombac.

That has solved mystery about leaves in wrong direction, it really looks so strange. In that case I think that kvk1 is debatable Franke&Co.
    Best regards,
    Franko

Ah yes, I have seen a Franke & Co now and you are right to say it looks very very similar.

Perhaps I will steer clear of this cross.

I agree, you should pass on this one.
    Best regards,
    Franko

To be honest I would be a bit wary of a dealer that in these days of easy digital photography and scanning technology available to everyone, couldn't (or chose not to) provide better imagery of a piece such as this.

That aside I don't think the harware set-up is right for Wernstein.

Dr Franke & Co did have a LDO number (L/65) but no Pk number so they were certainly licensed to sell but is there any evidence that the company actuall manufactured these?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."