Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Kriegsverdienstkreuz real or fake

Article about: hi looking at this Kriegsverdienstkreuz its got number 9 mm on the ring looks like original ribbon could anyone tell real or fake an what material it is made from. sorry for the pics camera

Default Re: Kriegsverdienstkreuz real or fake

yet again thanks for all the info on everything.im glad i joined this forum.you helped alot

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz  real or fake
    P
    Many

Glenn we had this tips discussed again in another thread. And i wanted to contact you. I have 2 fake ribbons that i tested with a black UV light and they don't glow. But when i did the burn test both threads melted. I don't know if my UV light is not good, so i purchased another one better and much more expensive from USA. As soon as it arrives i'll do the light test again.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

The UV test can only be used as a guide. Original ribbons will glow if they've been in contact with modern substances or have been washed. I had a grubby screwed up original Imperial EK2 ribbon that I ironed between a couple of tea towels that had been washed through the washing machine and the ribbon now glows slightly.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Really, i had no idea about this. But how can the opposite happen? How can fake ribbon not glow?
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

Materials used perhaps? Manufacturing techniques? All I do know is that the burn test and blacklight/UV test can be used as guides to authenticity but shouldn't be used as the ultimate decider on whether a ribbon is real or fake.
    When you consider a good fake Ritterkreuz can fetch thousands of £/€/$, it's worth the extra time and effort to make a good fake ribbon too......

Something I knocked up a while ago

As already stated UV light is hit and miss, it only gives good reliable results with paper
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsverdienstkreuz  real or fake  

?

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Something I knocked up a while ago

As already stated UV light is hit and miss, it only gives good reliable results with paper
    Useful research John!

I think the natural fibres in period ribbon tend to react less under UV light than modern materials.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2