Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

KVK1 '57 reissue - Fake or just beat up?

Article about: To start with, I'm not sure why someone would fake or repro a '57 reissue of any kind. But folks do what they will and I figure its a possibility. With that said, I just received this in the

Question KVK1 '57 reissue - Fake or just beat up?

To start with, I'm not sure why someone would fake or repro a '57 reissue of any kind. But folks do what they will and I figure its a possibility. With that said, I just received this in the mail today from a Canadian seller. It was sold as authentic, but I'm not entirely sure. I've posted some fresh pics for your review. Among the things I don't like are the weird loss of detail and crackly-type damage seen in the middle of the bottom curve of the "3" in "1939", as well as in the middle of the right side arm of the cross. It seems to have resulted in "smearing" of the dots there. Furthermore, the wreath looks a little less detailed then I'd expect and I'm not sure the smell and patina is consistent with silver (even though it clearly indicates '800', '21' - Godet on the reverse). On the clasp arm, there is some scratching that looks like it exposed some copper or similar underneath, although this is very light and I am also ignorant as to how these '57 reissues were manufactured. The thing almost looks as if it's been fire damaged. A penny for your thoughts?

KVK1 '57 reissue - Fake or just beat up?KVK1 '57 reissue - Fake or just beat up?KVK1 '57 reissue - Fake or just beat up?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KVK1 '57 reissue - Fake or just beat up?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: KVK1 '57 reissue - Fake or just beat up?

Well I'm confident it's not silver and confident it wasn't made by Godet. It looks like someone has attacked the back and front with a sander and I can't say I really like it. Can we see a pic with the pin down?
    Look at where the '800' is located on the reverse arm and note the corresponding damage to opposite side where the stamp was struck - the 'smearing' of dots that you noted. This was done post manufacture by someone trying to 'enhance' the desirability. I suggest the damage to the '3' is a result of the same thing, the '21' being stamped into the back.
    At best you have a '57 award that has been messed with but there are better examples out there.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    It looks like someone has attacked the back and front with a sander...
    That made me laugh out loud, for real. Upon further inspection, It appears copper to be covered in brushed (or sanded haha) lead. It definitely leaves marks when I run the award across a piece of paper. The arms of the cross and the pin are malleable and and the whole award bends in my hands. I'm certain I could crush it into a ball using pliers - might just do that. With this in mind I agree with your assessment of the strike damage.

For the hell of it, the first picture below is of the back with pin closed, as you requested. The second picture is the aftermath of me applying a little pressure with my hands to various parts of the item. I paid 60 USD for this POS. Oh well, you win some, you get burned on some.

KVK1 '57 reissue - Fake or just beat up?KVK1 '57 reissue - Fake or just beat up?

?

That's not good. I would advise to get a refund in future before 'bending' it too much!

A refund? Not through ebay I won't. I suppose that what I get for buying from an untrusted foreign seller over ebay.

?

Ebay. Say no more.