Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Original KVK 1 screwback maker?

Article about: I must say you have a point there mate.

Default Re: Original KVK 1 screwback maker?

I must say you have a point there mate.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original KVK 1 screwback maker?
    P
    Many

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    Hey all,
    I have the pleasure to purchase this original KVK 1 screwback. Looks to have retained 70% or so of its finish.
    It was sold to you like that? KVK 1st class was never in that color?!?! My be is 70% of its finisih under the layer (my be two layers) of black/grey paint.

Quote by all1knew View Post
    Hello there,

Agree to disagree. In no way could you use a small paint brush to paint around traces of original silver wash. Silver wash, which original to the badge, is clearly on top of what you are referring to ask "paint" so proves the "paint" was applied prior to the finish of the badge.

I would imagine, it was an adhesion supplement to ensure the finish stuck to the crude zinc metal on the badge. Sometimes we see this one zinc awards; copper or other undercoating to help the finish stick correctly.

William Kramer
    Valid point there William. I will return to the shop with nail polish remover and use Ned's technique. I will let everyone know the out come so we can have a correct answer to this question.

- - Updated - -

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Still a relatively common badge, and at this price range you can put the money
    into a much better original example with no issues.........
    This is very true. I returned the badge and will be taking your advice. Thanks again.

- - Updated - -

Quote by JeZoCoH View Post
    It was sold to you like that? KVK 1st class was never in that color?!?! My be is 70% of its finisih under the layer (my be two layers) of black/grey paint.
    I don't believe it's paint, but we will know shortly.

?

This is a zinc badge. Fact.

The medal was made from this dull grey material and then silvered. Fact.

The KVK1 was finished in silver, not grey. Fact.

Over time and in certain environmental conditions and depending on the quality of the base material and finish applied, the silver can be absorbed into the base metal. Fact.

This leaves the badge in an unfinished state and the bare zinc exposed. Fact.

The grey areas arrowed below are not base metal but paint, you can see the thickness of the paint on the swastika. The edges have been worn away, chipped and you can see the layer of paint. Look at any period photo of the KVK1 in wear and you will see the award as being silver, not grey. Fact.

If the grey was base metal there would be no distinction between the edges of the swastika and the flat surface, maybe a minor polishing effect but not a clear difference in colour. Fact.

Therefore, as we know the KVK1 was a silver award, there is no reason for the grey colour to be there unless it is base material - it isn't as I have just explained - or it has been painted.

I'll provide a photo from my collection for perusal but there are plenty more out there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original KVK 1 screwback maker?   Original KVK 1 screwback maker?  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Adrian,

Do you believe the "paint" was applied pre or post silver finish to the bare zinc metal?

William Kramer

?

I believe the paint in the areas arrowed has been applied on top of the base metal, remaining finish. It looks like it was done with a spray of some sort.

The dark grey and gold undercoating on my badge is underneath the silver finish; maked L/18, for B. H. Mayer's Kunst-prageanstalt - Pforzheim.

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original KVK 1 screwback maker?   Original KVK 1 screwback maker?  

Original KVK 1 screwback maker?   Original KVK 1 screwback maker?  

?

But if the base metal was protected by a layer of paint before the silver finish was applied then the silver finish would still be present as on your pinback.
    It is not exposed to base metal and therefore cannot be absorbed.

Correct.

William, I don't mean that someone used a brush to paint around traces of the wash. That would be a little crazy. What I am thinking is that the silver wash was compromised in some way, probably partially absorbed as happens, and some guy painted over it. Could have even been a kid. Then, as the years go by and it bangs around in a drawer or wherever it's spent all this time, the paint is worn at the high points and base metal and, where it remains under the paint, silver wash shows through.

You can see on the front of the badge that all the silver spots are on the high points and angled edges. A painted object wears this way. You expect recessed areas which are protected from contact to keep the paint while edges and high points in the design do not. That is exactly the wear pattern seen on the front of this badge.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast