Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Shot in the dark

Article about: I was in a little second hand store today looking around the store owner will consignee items for people he has two terrible examples of German combat helmets for sale an M35 Heer that looks

?

Default Re: Shot in the dark

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    I was just doing that Adrian the onley thing that I have not been able to find so far was why the medals wear issued and and to what branch of the service I will assume the wehrmacht and wear they would be worn on the uniform.
    They were issued to all branches of service and also to civilians. In a nutshell - they were awarded for merit as opposed to bravery which would've warranted the award of the EK. There are the type without swords such as you've posted above which meant the recipient won the award in a non-combatant role and the type with crossed swords through the middle which denoted it being won in a combat situation. Most armed forces were awarded the version with swords.
    The second class could be worn as a ribbon through the buttonhole, the medal on a medalbar or as a ribbon bar. In the case of an award with swords, a miniature crossed swords motif was applied to the ribbon if worn as a bar.
    The first class (with and without swords) was worn on the left breast pocket like the EK1 but below it if both had been awarded. The Knights Cross was worn from the neck.

The Kriegsverdienstmedaille was awarded very liberally and may well be one of the most common TR awards. Factories could be awarded this medal for meeting production targets for example as well as civilians for rescuing people in air raids or other good deeds - and who also might have met the criteria for an award of the Kriegsverdienstkreuz.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Shot in the dark
    P
    Many

?

Thanks Adrian you are one of the forums most valuable resources and you made my research a snap I almost feel like I cheated on a test.

?

Here are a few ways to wear the Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2nd klasse (KVK2), court mounted on it's own, mounted in the Austrian style, a ribbon bar and buttonhole/lapel bow, the latter for civilian dress. Note the miniature crossed swords meaning this was the version being represented.
    Also shown are both types of KVK1.
    The photo at the bottom shows the award immediately after its bestowal. Thereafter, the ribbon would be left in situ, sewn through the buttonhole to secure it and the medal would be kept elsewhere, at the barracks, sent to the wife/girlfriend/parents for example.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shot in the dark   Shot in the dark  

Shot in the dark   Shot in the dark  

Shot in the dark   Shot in the dark  

Nice pick ups Kozowy , you did well

The KVK series is a favourite of mine too, they are very attractive medals IMO

@ Adrian, as usual a perfect explanation

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

KSH
    ?

An interesting fact is also that the Kriegsverdienstmedaille was instituted after the 1st class and the 2nd class as an act of necessity, because the 2nd class without swords (being the lowest class which civilians could be awarded) was awarded in such numbers in the beginning that the prestige of the Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2nd class was decreasing quickly. To rectify this Hitler acted quickly and instituted a lower class that would from now on be awarded to say factory workers, artisans etc who simply did their civilian jobs well (and as such helped the war effort in their own way, on the home front). Factory workers and artisans etc had initially been awarded the 2nd class.

- Kenneth
    Last edited by KSH; 06-20-2011 at 03:25 PM.

?

Thanks again gentlemen and you are right a perfect explanation

?

Quote by KSH View Post
    An interesting fact is also that the Kriegsverdienstmedaille was instituted after the 1st class and the 2nd class as an act of necessity, because the 2nd class without swords (being the lowest class which civilians could be awarded) was awarded in such numbers in the beginning that the prestige of the Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2nd class was decreasing quickly. To rectify this Hitler acted quickly and instituted a lower class that would from now on be awarded to say factory workers, artisans etc who simply did their civilian jobs well (and as such helped the war effort in their own way, on the home front). Factory workers and artisans etc had initially been awarded the 2nd class.

- Kenneth
    That is a good point Kenneth and absolutely correct. I think this was the only award in the TR era where a lower class was added as opposed to other decorations where a higher class was added, the EK series being a perfect example.

?

I forgot to add this one earlier, a KVK1 being worn together with an EK1. The KVK2 is represented on the ribbonbar by both men.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shot in the dark  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2